Feedback Requesting feedback regarding BST configuration

CarpCharacin

Dilettante
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I'd like to hear some feedback regarding the configuration of the Buy / Sell / Trade sections. Specifically, what the ideal configuration of custom thread fields and / or thread prefixes would be.

An example of a custom thread field can be seen here:
1614077876053.png

The content of that field is displayed above the first post in the thread, which looks like this:
1614077992643.png

It's also possible to create custom thread fields that have sets of fixed responses which can be selected via a dropdown menu, checkboxes, or radio buttons.

An example of thread prefixes can be seen here on BYC in this subforum, the "Feedback" prefix is selected for this thread. For those who have permission to use a prefix (regular members might not currently have permission to assign prefixes here), a dropdown menu containing the option to select it is added, which looks like this:
1614078259944.png

I think that the features mentioned above (especially custom thread fields) could significantly improve BST if correctly configured, however I'm not totally sure what the ideal configuration is, as I haven't personally used BST.

It's possible to make it so each BST section has a unique set of custom thread fields suited to the type of threads posted there, and it's possible to require responses to some fields while leaving others optional. Examples would include adding a required location field, fields for details of what one is looking to buy, sell, or trade, such as an acceptable price or price range, payment methods accepted, and perhaps whether one is willing to ship an item or if they only allow local pickup. It'd also be possible to add a thread prefix for each type of listing (e.g. free, for sale, looking to buy).

If we were to add both custom fields and prefixes, we'd need to be sure to avoid redundancy. We also want to avoid adding too many thread prefixes and / or fields in general. Taking that into consideration, what do you think the best configuration would be?

Can you go back to previous versions of BYC when we had auctions and look at that format? I remember it was rather popular and had lots of fields of input. My old brain doesn’t remember off hand, but it was stuff like if it were for an auction or buy now, location, starting or sale price, shipping cost and maybe quantity, shipping or local pickup.

Can you go back to previous versions of BYC when we had auctions and look at that format? I remember it was rather popular and had lots of fields of input. My old brain doesn’t remember off hand, but it was stuff like if it were for an auction or buy now, location, starting or sale price, shipping cost and maybe quantity, shipping or local pickup.
Was the auction stuff pre-Huddler? It might be possible to use web.archive.org find an archived copy of a page which displays the fields.

Examples would include adding a required location field,

This, I think, is critical.

I was pondering looking for a cockerel this fall when I thought I'd have the new coop in October instead of April and was continually frustrated by opening threads to discover no indication of where the bird in question was.

Location is important.
Yes this, same goes with all the other threads like rehoming for example. People never list location. In order to make it more useful can you make it so in order for someone to post in that section they must enter in a general location. Also with that information make it so that the location is listed as the first thing you see. Hope you understand what I am saying??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom