*requesting pictures* How to keep goats out of my coop?

Andiexb

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
San Diego, CA
I am going to be getting a kid in a few weeks and I would love any suggestions anyone may have about keeping goats out of coops in general or suggestions for my particular coops (pictured below).

The large one is home built and the only entrance/exit is the human size door. I've been thinking about building a pop hole but I don't really know where to start. The smaller coop was purchased from a website and has the front door seen and a door in the back for cleaning that is always closed.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Our local feed store has one large coop that incorporates both goats and chickens. There is a divider in the middle, so the chickens can go in the goat half, but there are two pop doors, one inside and one to the outside so only the chickens can get into their sections. Here is a link to their blog where you can see a clear outside shot. You will have to figure out a pop door for your chickens if you don't want the goats in. Get a cat door and install it in the big door you already have. Easy.

http://naomisorganic.blogspot.com/p/goats.html

My donkey keeps trying to/ and sucessfully gets in the coop! Right now, my girls can't be free ranged because the woods we back up to have a barb wire fence. My husband is suppose to make a pop door to keep Jay-jay out--right now I just move the feeder out when I need to open the door to the pasture. Can you do a pop door, small enough to let the chickens out but keep the goat from coming in? and add a walled area that the chickens can hop on to and over just in front of the pop door? I'm assuming from my granfather's goats that any ladder made for a high pop door will have the goat climbing up it.

I am doing the same thing but to keep these out mainly the sheep as they are tiny
I am building a new large fully enclosed WIR alongside the fenced perimeter to my field

The coops will be on the other side of the WIR so the animals need to get into the WIR first.

I will be putting a separate large pop hole in the field side of the WIR, it needs to be big enough to allow the Ducks, Chickens and maybe even Geese through.

to prevent the Sheep getting in I am going to place some horizontal bars staggered some in front some behind a bit like a Chicane in a deep box that will create the pop hole
The birds should be able to zig zag in and out but the sheep should not be able to get through..... in theory

Also the anti Fox method used here http://www.tibetansky.co.uk/
For the pop hole door looks worth investigating. I think I could create a baffle like it for my Chickens to use but I am not sure the Ducks will like it as they are more nervous.so need to see where they are going otherwise it is quack quack and they all charge back to the pond.

Last edited:
Ok first off what kind of goats and I'm going to second celticoats good luck but I have about twenty pygmys I let them free range during spring or whenever it's nice and when I let them out they go straight to the barn with that said I got tired of them eating every single drop of feed then messing up chicken wire and hardware cloth not to mention worrying if they would get bloat but I too asked for advice and tips to keep them out and tried a lot I tried running electric strand across the pop doors so chickens can go under but goats would hit the wire and zap NOPE didn't work they thought it was worth getting shocked problem then was they didn't want to go back out after eating cuz they knew what awaited them then I made a tunnel very small I think like ten inches wide twelve inches tall and four feet long and attached it to the pop door on the inside thinking they cant crawl thru a tunnel wrong they did then I found a nice idea from a guy on here it was attached just inside the pop door so that soon as the chickens go up the ramp to the door soon as they go thru the door they met a board they had to jump up and out to get in picture a box 12x12x12 then take the top off and attach it to the inside wall just inside the pop door that worked for most but still had a few that still managed to bend at flex enough to get in so I took it down because most chickens didn't like it now I just put pulleys and rope and hooks so when I let the goats out feeders come up

I am going to be getting a kid in a few weeks and I would love any suggestions anyone may have about keeping goats out of coops in general or suggestions for my particular coops (pictured below).

The large one is home built and the only entrance/exit is the human size door. I've been thinking about building a pop hole but I don't really know where to start. The smaller coop was purchased from a website and has the front door seen and a door in the back for cleaning that is always closed.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

If you are planning on housing this goat in the same pen as these coops then the other problem you are going to have, aside from keeping goat out of coop, is that the goat is going to have a super great time jumping, climbing and bouncing all over your smaller coop! No joke, I have seen my grown does up on top of a picnic table just bouncing straight up and down as hard as they could just because it made a lot of noise and it was fun! They did this until they broke it, goats are not gentle on their surroundings! If it's a horned goat, they love, love, love to butt the heck out of anything that makes a lot of noise when they do it and that will include your coops. As far as keeping the kid out of coops? While the goat is a baby you are going to have to have a really, really small door for the chickens to get into their coops. Even then, I don't know if you'll keep a kid out! When my goats where kids I was absolutely amazed at what tiny openings they could squeeze through! I think I would have to really highly suggest keeping the goat in it's own enclosure to protect your chicken houses and also so you don't get a goat gobbling up a bunch of chicken feed and bloating on you.

Back
Top Bottom