Rescue Baby Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenluver555, Mar 8, 2014.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I live on the water, and so fortunately I get to watch the ducks and geese every year, and feed them and such. Usually there is a duck family that will have about 12 ducklings and they are so cute! But, every year I watch as those 12 turn to 2 until eventually I only see the mother duck without any babies.
    I try not to interfere, because nature should be left alone, however I hate seeing the baby ducks being eaten or disappearing, and their poor mama just seems so distraught.
    This year, I decided I want to help. I always feed them bread and such, but I was thinking maybe I could catch a few and raise them until they are big enough to fend for themselves and then let them go.
    Is this a good idea? I don't know what to do!! Please help

Gina

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I would also feel the need to help them, but the truth is if you raise them they will probably not be able to fend for themselves when released back out into the wild. They will be too dependent on you for food and water.

Also, try to avoid feeding them bread. It is actually bad for them. Greens are the best way to go.

3 people like this.
  3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Unfortunately, though it is sad, there's not much you can do. Some mama ducks are just better than others.

However, you can help by giving them healthy foods like duckling crumbles. Also, if you are feeding them, watch out for gulls, crows, and other predators and try not to attract them, too.

2 people like this.
  4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Yikes, I understand how hard that would be... however, whether she looses them to predators or you its still gonna be hard on the mama duck. They are wild, let nature take its course. I mean if you catch a couple you can make them domesticated, but that probably means they will depend on you (unless they are naturally good foragers and you only supplement).

1 person likes this.
  5. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I agree, I would hate to take them from their mom, I just feel so bad for the ducklings! Their number decreases every day and it is just so hard to watch… Hopefully things will go better this year

6. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm like you... I'd probably smuggle a couple into a coop and raise them for a while then gradually wean them off depending on me so they were able to forage and fend for themselves but still felt at home in a secured coop/area thereby helping them and their babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by