Rescue Chicken Help

kingsleycoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
I've had this lovely lady, Lucy for a little over a week. She was rescued from an egg factory, not in the best condition. She has a vet appointment on the books and in the meantime, seems to be happy and doing all the "normal" chicken things, well learning to. I live in California, and the weather does not get very cold here. Currently we are having a heat wave. But I worry, once it does get cold about her bare chest area. She is also slightly molting. I have been adding lots of protein to her diet, which seems there was a lack of before :( . She will eat almost any treat, I give to her, so far. A favorite is a scrambled egg! Lol. Any thoughts on how to protect her until we get more info from the vet and what is best for the winter time? She is the most friendly so far, and is not camera shy.
(This is the best shot I could get before work this morning, while everyone was calm)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
you are doing the right thing by increasing the protein to help with the moulting process/growing in new feathers. I think they will be fine as long as you have a coop for them to roost in that is draft free but ventilated at the same time.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lucy is one lucky girl you adopted her! Hope the vet appointment goes well. X2 what liz9910 said, Lucy should be find as long as she has a dry draft-free coop to stay in, and upping the protein in her diet.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

How nice you could rescue her!! She should be fine. I have had chickens hard molt in January when temps dip below zero. As long as she can snuggle up with the others she should do ok. I like to add cooked ground turkey or beef a couple times a week for molting birds. Really ups the protein and gives them some much needed amino acids to help with feather growth. If you do notice her extremely cold one morning, you might turn on a heat lamp for her to get her going. I will do this for old, sick or very young birds in the mornings. Helps them get their bodies warmed up enough to start eating.

Enjoy your lovely flock and welcome to our flock!

Also other than catfood is there any other high protein food, that is highly suggested? I want to make sure Lucy is getting everything she needs, however I would like to keep it, in the range of food that she would "normally" eat. I've read a lot about adding kitten food, but am really hesitant, due to some preservatives ect.... am I over thinking it?

The easiest thing to do is probably just get a higher protein chicken feed... either Chick feed (usually 20-24%) or one of the Game Bird feeds, they can go over 30%... and mix it with what you are feeding her (you can also feed the feed wet, most chickens like it that way, if you wind up getting mash) just have oyster shell available on the side for her. Some other popular high protein treats, are any insects, meal worms, crickets etc and sunflower seed hearts (these are high in fat though).

The easiest thing to do is probably just get a higher protein chicken feed... either Chick feed (usually 20-24%) or one of the Game Bird feeds, they can go over 30%... and mix it with what you are feeding her (you can also feed the feed wet, most chickens like it that way, if you wind up getting mash) just have oyster shell available on the side for her. Some other popular high protein treats, are any insects, meal worms, crickets etc and sunflower seed hearts (these are high in fat though).
Do you mix the feed with water? What is the best way to serve it wet without getting moldy? I think I may pick up some meal worms too :)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

She should be fine, even with the amount of feathers that she has now. Most of my birds molt in wintertime, and even when missing many feathers, survive below zero temperatures quite well.

Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom