Rescue Chicken isn't responding to Treatment (ivermectin and sulmet)

Sally Monella

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Hello
I recently took in a little frizzle bantam that was pecked almost completly featherless by the other chickens she was in with. I haven't let her around my other chickens so no worries there but despite the fact she is eating like crazy and almost all the feathers have grown back, she continues to gasp for air. Its not all the time but at least 70% of the time, when she is running about she seems fine, she does sleep a lot more than I think is normal. She also snores when she is sleeping. The gasps are like exaggerated deep breaths but I noticed today she did sound a bit congested (but before today no noticable congestion), and I fear she may be getting worse. No discharge or watery eyes, very alert and lots of energy, amazing appetite, I wormed her with ivermectin, 2 rounds of Sulmet (14 days apart) and still no improvement, I also made sure she got some probiotics after each treatment. She is eating chicken scratch (non-medicated), scrambled eggs, and meal worms, roaches, and crickets (I breed them myself so they are clean and parasite free), she gets electrolytes w/D3 and she has a heat lamp that she stays under most of the time she is in her cage. Should I try a new medication, a different food? I am at a complete loss and I have really become attached to this little critter, I can't lose her. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
P.S. I sterilize her food, water and cage every other day, the bedding is changed daily. I am a bit of a germ freak,lol.

I can't help you with the bird but I'm a little puzzled about the sterilizing...a healthy bird needs exposure to certain germs to develop antibodies to them, just like humans. If you remove any and all germs, you might as well have the vet on speed dial.
wink.png

I am only cautious because of coccidia, the chicken spends the nights in my house (due to misquitos and having bald spots), and my husband breeds reptiles and they are very succeptible to coccidia. She cannot be completly sterilized while out doors, she plays in the dirt like a normal chicken, but inside I am very weary of cross contamination, and what some call super contamination (from dirty dishes and other surfaces with possible fecal matter on it). From the location I got her I assume she was exposed to a number of bacteria and other contaminants.

sounds like some kind of respiratory infection, hopefully someone with experience can chime in and help you out. I do know that birds with respiratory infections can be carriers their whole lives so even when they "get better" they can still pass the infection to other birds- so be careful with her around your flock.

Back
Top Bottom