Rescue chicken

Daycarecrazy

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
I rescued a Rhode Island Red hen that a dog attacked in my front yard. I live in a subdivision so I have no idea where the hen came from, although I have searched for an owner. It's been a week and she's healing (I took her to the vet and she got an antibiotic shot). She's got a hurt foot, and puncture wounds but I think she's going to make it! She's recovering inside in a big dog kennel for now, but when she's ready to go outside to a coop will she need a friend? Do I need to wait until she's entirely healed if so? I've had lots of pets but never a chicken so I could use some advice! Thank you!

I rescued a Rhode Island Red hen that a dog attacked in my front yard. I live in a subdivision so I have no idea where the hen came from, although I have searched for an owner. It's been a week and she's healing (I took her to the vet and she got an antibiotic shot). She's got a hurt foot, and puncture wounds but I think she's going to make it! She's recovering inside in a big dog kennel for now, but when she's ready to go outside to a coop will she need a friend? Do I need to wait until she's entirely healed if so? I've had lots of pets but never a chicken so I could use some advice! Thank you!

Welcome to BYC!

That's so nice that you took a stray chicken to the vet! :hugs

Yes, she will need other chickens to thrive.

Are chickens allowed where you live?

If you don't want too many, you can try getting 2 more pullets (younger chickens) from one place very soon and keep them isolated in a different area away from her for 30 days for a quarantine period. Honestly, you can get just about any other layer breed and they will do well together. I have a mixed flock of 18 different breeds along with one mixed breed and they all get along just fine. I personally like Plymouth Barred Rocks and White Leghorns but I have lots of other breeds. You could also try an Easter Egger if you'd like blue or green eggs.

In the meantime, you can build a coop or make a coop out of part of a shed or whatever. We have lots of ideas here in the Articles section.

After the 30 day quarantine period is over, you should have your coop done, she should be healed and you can begin the integration process. That will take some time and it is a topic best left for another thread if you decide to go that route.

x2!
Welcome, and good for you for doing so much for this poor bird. She does need companions, and you could raise some chicks, and introduce them in a month or six weeks, having them next to each other but separated by fencing when the chicks are feathered out and don't need extra heat any more.
Stick with standard sized birds, not bantams, not Silkies or Salmon favorelles, because many RIRs are pushy, so meek or small individuals may not be a good mix.
Mary

Thank you for the replies! Although I live in a neighborhood it's in an unincorporated area of the city so I can have chickens. I have 2 dogs, 6 cats and a dozen day care kids so why not add to the zoo? My husband thinks I'm nuts. Haha! I've been doing a lot of research about chickens but still have a ton of questions, so I'm very thankful for group!

Attachments

• 20200401_080016.jpg
    20200401_080016.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom