Rescue Chicken

I'm not sure how to check for mites and lice. Pullets are 20 weeks old, none laying yet, but one about to: swollen comb, very red, squatting
Do it at night with a bright flashlight, as many mites come out at night. Part the feathers, especially around the vent, as close to the skin as you can. Look up pictures of mites, lice, and their eggs beforehand so you know what you're looking for. For scaly leg mites: check if all the scales on his legs are smooth and laying flat like usual.

Do it at night with a bright flashlight, as many mites come out at night. Part the feathers, especially around the vent, as close to the skin as you can. Look up pictures of mites, lice, and their eggs beforehand so you know what you're looking for. For scaly leg mites: check if all the scales on his legs are smooth and laying flat like usual.
Is there anyway to check in the daytime? He's very spooked at the moment. :(

Is there anyway to check in the daytime? He's very spooked at the moment. :(
Generally mites and lice do their thing at night, so they'll be easier to find if you do it then. You definitely want to wait until he's not spooked to introduce him-it'll make the whole process much easier. For getting him used to you: Lots of treats! A healthy 'treat' is some wet chicken feed. They think it's a treat but it is really good for them because it is their food! Try to set up something where you can let the roo come to you. Don't try to pet him, just let him do his thing. You'll obviously have to clean his living space, and he'll get used to you as you do that. It will take some time-I have had my adult hens for two months. They are no longer terrified of me but they don't like being pet and won't let me pick them up. I am trying a thing where I hold them like they're going to be picked up, but I let them keep their feet on the ground so they're not actually being lifted. I hold them like that until I can feel them calming down-heartbeat slows and they're less tense-then I hold them for a few more seconds then let them go.

Generally mites and lice do their thing at night, so they'll be easier to find if you do it then. You definitely want to wait until he's not spooked to introduce him-it'll make the whole process much easier. For getting him used to you: Lots of treats! A healthy 'treat' is some wet chicken feed. They think it's a treat but it is really good for them because it is their food! Try to set up something where you can let the roo come to you. Don't try to pet him, just let him do his thing. You'll obviously have to clean his living space, and he'll get used to you as you do that. It will take some time-I have had my adult hens for two months. They are no longer terrified of me but they don't like being pet and won't let me pick them up. I am trying a thing where I hold them like they're going to be picked up, but I let them keep their feet on the ground so they're not actually being lifted. I hold them like that until I can feel them calming down-heartbeat slows and they're less tense-then I hold them for a few more seconds then let them go.
Good idea! I used some canned corn to catch him and he was loving it! Might try that :)

Good idea! I used some canned corn to catch him and he was loving it! Might try that :)
Mine used to run away from me if I went near them at all. Now when I open the coop to check on them in the evening they're all chill. They will eat out of my hand, but touching them is not appreciated. I"m still working on that. I used to have to clean the coop almost every day because they would spill their water and make all the shavings soaked and wet and gross. That also helped as they got used to hearing me, and seeing me, my arms, and my hands.

I’ve determined he has lice and maybe mites. Treatment thoughts? Very sweet little guy. I let him out of his temporary coop and he immediately tried to hop on my lap and snuggle.
AEC9221D-5F24-4EC9-AC36-E6A8D3003375.jpeg
3E38A032-F9EB-45FF-BDA5-08B4A3E4B1A3.jpeg
0F8F970F-B031-494F-9405-2218379ACCA6.jpeg
D27126CE-B6B7-47F4-8044-E51A2C9E710C.jpeg
A79A271B-15F7-4C16-855E-3B04FB75055E.jpeg
E198154E-970F-407E-944F-E39C9AB8BB7C.jpeg
858912BC-98C7-4FD2-9B02-E4B8B0D72A44.jpeg
ADAEB92B-FC0D-4A73-AE00-BCBC342FA14F.jpeg
1B57A6A5-A422-4AA6-985D-E572A742B91C.jpeg
9CEDE292-2436-4E74-806C-7BA76F99D42D.jpeg
8A9AD2FA-2E2D-4440-B94B-D96E7C223309.jpeg
BD755F77-A3A5-47DB-9A91-6C8E6CF4E5C6.jpeg
5F3C9E20-CAE2-41F2-83BE-1A2564EF3A82.jpeg

Good thing that you checked before letting him in with your birds! From what I've seen on BYC-If you're in the states (are you in the states?) You'll want to get some Permethrin dust and spray. Use the dust on the birds and the spray for his temporary coop. Repeat every 10 days for about 3 weeks, and continue if needed. I see the black spots now!Don't know what's up with them. There aren't any on his face, so it might? Not be fowl pox? @Eggcessive any idea what's going on here?

Good thing that you checked before letting him in with your birds! From what I've seen on BYC-If you're in the states (are you in the states?) You'll want to get some Permethrin dust and spray. Use the dust on the birds and the spray for his temporary coop. Repeat every 10 days for about 3 weeks, and continue if needed. I see the black spots now!Don't know what's up with them. There aren't any on his face, so it might? Not be fowl pox? @Eggcessive any idea what's going on here?
I’m in the US. Where do I get this dust and spray?

Back
Top Bottom