Rescue chicks

jenni22776rn

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
lol.png
First of all...I love this site! I am a new chicken owner..well I grew up on a farm and had chickens all of my life but never really thought I would as a adult own chickens. Last fall I rescued a chicken that was left at a home that was forclosed on..the realtor was a friend of mine and saw the chicken coop...heard the chicken inside and called me...that was when I met Miss Gretta..since then I have 2 other rescue ladies...2 were founat a auction in a box in the trash..no feathers,no food and barley moving. Miss Miss Bella and Miss Maggie I am proud to say are once again full featherd,lovley and very happy to be chickens. I thought that might be it..until I recieved the call from our local animal shelter. I was listed as a foster parent and they called in despiration for a foster home for 17 baby chicks. I guess 18 baby chicks were found in a cardboard box on the side of the road in winter. One did not survive the cold but the other 17 babies did. I am not sure what kind of chickens they are. 7 are larger and older because they have started to get their feathers. The other 10 are smaller and have pronounced markings on the wings. I am going to try to post pictures so see if anyone can tell me what kind of chickens they may be and how old they may be. I am thinking the smaller ones may be Rhode Island Reds..but wether roosters or girls I am not sure. They seem to be doing good and have a warm spot in my back room next to our pellet stove. Any advice anyone may have to assisit with raising these little guys would be great. I am new at the little ones and want only the best for them. Some seem to open the mouths like they are crowing...or just talking I am not sure. They also seem to have some "chest bumps" going on. As soon as they all have the feathers..I plan on moving them to our outside pen. Can anyone tell me how ot post pictures of the little ones? Also when can I intodude the new ones to my other ladies? My other ladies kind of rule the roost(lol) and I do not want to cause them stress with 17 baby mouthy chicks!

So glad for people like you:love
Honestly, it boggles the mind that others can be so heartless. I never considered the need to foster or rescue chicks, but I think I'll look into putting my name on our local shelters list.

To be honest with you..I tried to rescue battery chickens..never giving it a thought that I would get the call for 17 baby chicks...I guess as I was told they do rescue alot of poultry..if they have a list of people willing to rescue them then they will rescue them as well...since recieving these little ones..I have gotten 2 other calls for rescue chicks..the need is out there as long as the right places have your name I guess! Good luck! I enjoy these little ones every day and love the thought of having hand raised chickens!
big_smile.png

IF they are still tiny and fluffy, they need a heat lamp positioned to give them about 90 degrees at their level. Give them enough room to go away from the lamp if it's too hot.
Provide fresh water in a chick waterer or at very least a very shallow dish. Put pebbles/marbles in it so the lil things don't drown. They aren't the brightest.
Emergency rations could be blendered dry oatmeal. Otherwise get chick starter for them.
If they are quiet and spread out, they are happy. If they are bunched or noisy, something is wrong: either food or temperature.

big_smile.png
81782_039.jpg

81782_042.jpg

81782_081.jpg

These are some of the baby chicks that I rescued...learning to perch was really fun to watch and I think they had fun also. I love it when they just want to sit on you and nest!! So cute!

When I was working for a friend tending his rental properties we used to get renters abandoning pets way too often. Cats, a lot, dogs, less often, several times birds, and 3 times coops of chickens. One time was a really supremely nice little coop with 5 silkie hens in it. They were lucky the neighbor knew they were there because it was the heart of summer and they had no water. The bosses wife who up to that point had detested chickens fell for those silkies and ended up moving them and the coop to their place.

Back
Top Bottom