Rescue dog drama

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Mostly, this will be a vent. I decided my rescue terrier, Dinah, would benefit from a canine companion to give myself and the eyeless cat a break from her need to play. I applied for a lovely, albeit overweight alleged cattle dog, who happened to be blind. Not a big deal in my world. I waited and waited, and figured I wasn't chosen as his mom.

Weeks later, out of the blue, the rescue person finally said it appeared I would be a great match with Bud. In fact, his foster lived close enough that he would be delivered so we could see how he did in the country and with all my poultry and other critters.

All seemed well. The foster mom said the rescue person would send Bud's medical records and contract, and I could send the $250 check. Except that I repeatedly emailed the rescue person and heard nothing. Finally, I gave up. Because we had no medical background and because the foster mom said Bud (now George) hadn't been on heartworm or flea meds, I took him to my vet where he got the full range of vaccines, including rabies, a heartworm test. the whole nine yards.

Yesterday, George began first walking around the dining room table, then racing around, faster and faster. I could interrupt the behavior but as soon as I stopped what I was doing, he was back at it. It lasted from 10:30 a.m. until he fell asleep at 8 last night. He woke up at 4 a.m., I took him out, fed him and it started again I have a vet appointment for him this morning.

I texted his foster mom who said he had not done this at her house (He had exhibited a tendency to circle in the way that blind dogs often do, but nothing this manic). I emailed the rescue point person and expressed my frustration and concern for George. Without a WORD from her, I woke up at 4 a.m. to find she had FINALLY sent all the info -- which includes that he had already been vaccinated for everything he was just vaccinated for again and that he had tested negative for heartworm.

So, I have spent almost $300 on things George doesn't need, and now, he is exhibited this manic behavior. I love this dog already, but I am so MAD that his adoption was, in my mind, bungled. I hope the vet can figure out what's going on.

Watching him run himself ragged is heartbreaking. I spent a couple of hours yesterday with his leash either in my hand or wrapped around my ankle to keep him anchored. I have had a dog with idiopathic seizures, but she was never as lucid as he is during the episodes. I don't think it's canine cognitive disorder; he's only 3, and I've also dealt with that.

I am at wit's end and needed to vent. Sorry this is so long.

He may be nervous being in a new place. Imagine being blind on top of moving to a new home. Talk to your vet to see if there is anything you can give him to calm down. There are over the counter herbal supplements that calm dogs down when they get nervous about storms and fireworks that may help, or he may need a prescription.

At any rate, I am not impressed with this "rescue " organization. There is no reason why his information wasn't provided when he was brought to you.

I am also hoping it is anxiety related and can be easily treated. He has been here for three weeks, and although he did the table circling a couple of times before, it only lasted for two or three minutes, not hours on end.

I have worked with four other rescue organizations, including one where I was essentially the hospice home for unadoptable dogs, and I have never experienced anything like this, where there is no information provided and no follow up.

Good news, I think. My vet believes that even though George is a pretty chill dog, the endless circling really is anxiety. Which is understandable since he's been moved around a lot -- wherever he came from, two rescues, a foster home and this -- his forever home.

We are starting him on Trazadone, twice a day, to see if it helps him stay calm. I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath.

I don't know if it would help but there is a plug in that mimics the mother dog's pheromones and is supposed to help calm the dog down, any age dog. We used one on my weimaraner puppy. It worked for awhile but then again, my dog is a weim, notoriously crazy dogs. Hope the meds from the vet work, just thought I would throw this idea out there

Attachments

• 81JwSKPOA6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81JwSKPOA6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks. I'm willing to try anything and everything that might work. I'm going to give the meds a day or two and see what happens.

BTW, Weims might be crazy, but they are striking-looking dogs. (I used to be an inside ring steward for the local dog show and I always liked the looks of your breed).

Thanks. I'm willing to try anything and everything that might work. I'm going to give the meds a day or two and see what happens.

BTW, Weims might be crazy, but they are striking-looking dogs. (I used to be an inside ring steward for the local dog show and I always liked the looks of your breed).
Oh yes, he is beautiful, but a nut. I wanted an active dog, to keep up with the hiking and camping and outdoors stuff we do a lot. But this guy can literally hike up mountains all day and still have energy to run and play at night. I would love to see pictures of your guy. My hubby had a cattle dog

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_113144409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210628_113144409_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
My other rescue is a crazy terrier, so I was a little leery of getting another energetic dog. But, George is far from wild and MAY be a steadying influence on Dinah. Today, he is being his normal lazy-dog self. And, I am so grateful.

I like the look of your yard -- a beautiful dog and a lovely chicken coop. I keep saying I will some day learn how to put up photos. And, I will. When I do, all of BYC may be inundated with pictures of my incredible beasts!

Oh, I feel your frustration. I recently adopted a puppy from a local rescue group. There were a couple on their website that caught my eye so I filled out the adoption application. Turns out one of them was being fostered by my brother's neighbor (though I hadn't meet them) and he told them. I submitted the app on Friday and my references told me they were contacted Saturday but I heard nothing for 4 days. My brother did tell me the fosters told him they were prioritizing my app. Then late Tuesday I got a text that said I was approved and could make arrangements with the foster family for pickup. I was like "What?!" They didn't even talk to me or let me meet the dog. I wanted to bring him to my place to see how he did with all the livestock. Luckily it all turned out well. After I finished the adoption process it took almost 2 weeks for me to get his vet records. I was getting pretty frustrated because I knew he would need his boosters. Thank goodness the foster family was so amazing.

And after our first vet visit I found out the microchip number on his records is wrong which means if someone scanned him they'd get the wrong contact info. I emailed the rescue group more than a month ago and haven't heard a thing. Now that he's not their responsibility they don't seem to care.

Anyway, I was replying to tell you about Rescue Remedy. It's a natural product that helps with anxiety. My old boy had doggie dementia and became extremely stressed with any changes toward the end. He did get CBD for his arthritis pain which also helped with stress but the Rescue Remedy was what really helped him. And it was one of the few things that helped him sleep through the night.

Thanks for the tip about Rescue Remedy. I've heard of it, but never before heard from someone who used it.

I know people because they care about animals, and I've worked with some amazing rescues. They aren't all AMAZING, so I'm glad your story has a happy ending for you and your puppy.

While I appreciated having his foster mom bring him here to see how things would work for all involved, it was also a bit of a surprise since I wasn't expecting him until a week later. But, as in your case, it all worked out.

So far, George has been fine since we got home from the vet. In fact, for the first time ever, my sweet blind boy hopped right up on the car seat (I've preciously had to hoist his overweight girth into the car) and slept on the way home. He's still a bit tentative about stepping down to get out of the car, but he's getting better.

He's from a rescue known for taking in the "unadoptables." Any one would be lucky to get this dog!

Back
Top Bottom