rgmarch_

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
88CAA5BF-8562-443D-8931-0FE1BD021307.jpeg
good evening, everyone!

I went by my local animal shelter today to pick up a hen they had posted on Facebook, but I was too late! Someone else had already picked her up! So, the worker told me they had a duck, so I took a look at her and fell in LOVE! What kind do y’all think she is? Any advice on my established flock cohabiting with my new girl?

Attachments

• A2E3030C-FA88-446B-85EC-68767221DC25.jpeg
    A2E3030C-FA88-446B-85EC-68767221DC25.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 1572011 good evening, everyone!

I went by my local animal shelter today to pick up a hen they had posted on Facebook, but I was too late! Someone else had already picked her up! So, the worker told me they had a duck, so I took a look at her and fell in LOVE! What kind do y’all think she is? Any advice on my established flock cohabiting with my new girl?
As FishMtFarm already said, you have a beautiful Muscovy. She looks very similar to one of my late Nuscovies. Just to let you know, my Muscovy flies all the time so, if you do not want her to fly, you might want to look into clipping her wings. There are some great videos on YouTube. As for introducing your new girl to the rest of the flock, I’ve always found it best to lock them up at night together. They should get use to each other after a while. If she’s friendly, she should be okay. My Muscovies were rescued, unfortunately three of the four died, but the last one coincides nicely with the rest of my flock. Good luck and enjoy your life with her. Muscovies are characters and very entertaining to watch.

As FishMtFarm already said, you have a beautiful Muscovy. She looks very similar to one of my late Nuscovies. Just to let you know, my Muscovy flies all the time so, if you do not want her to fly, you might want to look into clipping her wings. There are some great videos on YouTube. As for introducing your new girl to the rest of the flock, I’ve always found it best to lock them up at night together. They should get use to each other after a while. If she’s friendly, she should be okay. My Muscovies were rescued, unfortunately three of the four died, but the last one coincides nicely with the rest of my flock. Good luck and enjoy your life with her. Muscovies are characters and very entertaining to watch.
The shelter said they already clipped her wings! I’m assuming she was probably flying all around the room she was in and made a mess! She has been an ANGEL also far! A little shy, of course, but once she warmed up to me, she sat on my lap for probably 2 hours!
Thank you for the advice about putting them together at night! I just took her out there with my other girls. I stayed for a bit and she seems fine. I’ll keep my ears out and go check on them throughout the night.
Thank you so much for your help!!

The shelter said they already clipped her wings! I’m assuming she was probably flying all around the room she was in and made a mess! She has been an ANGEL also far! A little shy, of course, but once she warmed up to me, she sat on my lap for probably 2 hours!
Thank you for the advice about putting them together at night! I just took her out there with my other girls. I stayed for a bit and she seems fine. I’ll keep my ears out and go check on them throughout the night.
Thank you so much for your help!!
No problem! Remember to clip her wings whenever she starts flying again, I usually clip my ducks’ wings every four to six months. It’s great that she enjoys your company; I have ten ducks and they all run away from me!! Enjoy her a lot.

Wonderful. I love Muscovy ducks. They are trainable, like dogs, if you spend enough time with them. She looks smart. Where is a shelter that takes in Muscovy ducks?

Make sure she has a very deep dish with clean water so she can clean her nares. They clean them frequently by blowing water out of their nose holes. Muscovies also bath very frequently unlike some other duck breeds.

Have fun.

Wonderful. I love Muscovy ducks. They are trainable, like dogs, if you spend enough time with them. She looks smart. Where is a shelter that takes in Muscovy ducks?

Make sure she has a very deep dish with clean water so she can clean her nares. They clean them frequently by blowing water out of their nose holes. Muscovies also bath very frequently unlike some other duck breeds.

Have fun.

Oh, wow! Thank you so much for all that info!

They had her at the CMPD Animal Care and Control center in Charlotte, NC. They also had a Courier pigeon, but I was a little afraid to take her home with me since I have zero experience with indoor birds (and, ya know. My husband might tell me to find a new home with all these animals if I keep bringing them home! Haha!) Anyway, they have tons of animals! The usual dogs and cats, bunnies, goats, birds. All kinds of stuff! I keep my eye out on their Facebook page because I work in Charlotte, so it’s really easy for me to hop over there on my way home and pick up a new friend when they have some. They have a lot of roosters, which makes me sad. If I had a bigger flock, I would take one of them, too. But, I have 9 hens, one roo, and now a duck (plus two cats and two dogs!). I think I’m tapped out for a bit!

Very pretty girl.

I highly recommend getting another Muscovy. Ducks can get along fine with chickens (sometimes not) but she will still likely be lonely as a single duck. Ducks are extremely social creatures so they do best with a flock of their own kind. You could also get another domestic duck but all of those are derived from Mallards. They'd probably get along fine but they literately don't speak the same language. Though it's still better than no duck friend at all.

Good luck with your new addition. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom