Rescue eggs are hatching!!! Evil momma & no incubator even :-)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by savannahchickmom, Jun 21, 2011.

1. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    [​IMG] I posted a few days ago - my GJ was sitting on eggs, and 3 had hatched. She was killing them as they hatched. As I discovered this, she abandoned her nest. There were over 20 eggs in the nest. I asked for advice & my family pitched in. We did not have an incubator, so we improvised. Egg cartons, heat lamp and a bowl of water. We did the float test & then the next day we candled them. We weaned the "potentials" down to 16. I was ready to break one of them open & begin the heartbreaking "toss." My girls kept begging me for a "little more time." Lo & behold, we have a pip & peeps!!! I am so excited I cannot hardly stand it!!! Cross your fingers this little baby makes it & more follow. I never thought they would possibly make it. Pictures will follow. Thank you to the 2 of you who took them time to offer your advice! It meant alot to me.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Great job improvising! [​IMG] And hurray for your girls asking for more time...kudos for you giving it to them. Looking forward to the pictures. [​IMG]

3. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Get A Thermometer On Them And Try And Get That Temp Up With Lamps. 99.9 Is Best And Make Sure U Can Have The Humitity Up Enough Or Your Going To Be Pulling Them Out Of Their Shells. Congrats On The Pipping. But Make Sure All Is Well And Remember It Can Take 24 Hours For Them To Emerge From The Shell So Dont Rush Them And Have Your Girls Just Watch. If You FeEl The Chick Is Just Not Going To Make It Helping Him Is A Last Resort. However We Dont Help Our Chicks Out. I Feel If They Cant Do It On Their Own They Are Not Stong Enough To Live On Our Farm. Fittest! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND I HOPE YOU GET AT LEAST ONE SURVIVOR! [​IMG]

4. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Best of luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by