Rescue eggs - NO inclubator!

debir1966

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Central Idaho
Hen setting on eggs, hatched 5 of the 13 yesterday morning and left the nest. Kids moved hen and chicks into a safer spot (we free range) and moved the rest of the eggs too just in case she was scared off the nest.
She didn't return to setting on them, of course. So last night we were going to see how far along in development the rest of the eggs were (we homeschool) and as we were about to open the eggs, we heard peeping!
We put the eggs back under her (it was late evening by this time and she had settled in for the night). We heard peeping for 3 of the 5 eggs for sure, and 3 eggs were sloshing so we chucked those.
I figured she wouldn't continue to set on them this morning, so the kids went out and 2 more had hatched, leaving 3 eggs, 1 pipped!
We do not have an incubator, so they brought the last 3 eggs in (she had moved off of them) and all I have is a heating pad, which I have on high, and the eggs on a towel loosely wrapped in the heating pad.
Two show no signs of life (no cheeping, no pipping), but one is pipping and cheaping.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated to save this little miracle.

Hen and the chicks that hatched.

Debi

Last edited:
We candled the last egg, no air sack, no movement, no peeping when we tapped, so we floated it and it floated. We let the two chicks dry out a bit and then we put them aback under Mama. We will check them every few minutes :)

Thanks everyone! I was panicking because the eggs were cold and I couldn't think of anything to keep them warm. Finally remembered we had a heat pad, then it wouldn't work and had to call the company to get help resetting it LOL.
Once it kicked on and they heated up, the chicks came out very quickly! I was researching what to do and read that it could take 8-12 hours after the first pip to hatch. The one egg had the pip, but the other one had nothing and didn't make any sounds, move or anything, so it was quite a surprise when I lifted the towel and saw the second egg had zippered!

chickendreams24 - Yes, she is a Speckled Sussex - our rooster is a White Rock however. And since there was a delay between the first ones hatching and the last ones hatching (which I know can be normal for incubated eggs, but not sure if it is for hen-hatched eggs), I am wondering if another hen was also laying eggs in her nest. She had 13 eggs to start! We have a mixed-breed flock, so I am not sure if they are all hers or not.

Mama and babies are doing well, I will try and get a picture this evening of the new little family :)

Back
Top Bottom