Rescue..is this a chicken or a wild bird?

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
I know this sounds like a really dumb question, but I'm just not sure. When we were feeding and watering everyone last night, we found this tiny little bird by the duck aviary. It looks alot like my brown leghorns when we first got them. My brown leghorn girl does roam around in the yard, but the only roo we have is a silkie. Also, this little one is extremely small. Its about the size of a new baby bird as opposed to a new baby chick. It's at least half the size of new chick, maybe even smaller. Is there a wild bird that looks like a leghorn or could this be a chick? I have no idea where it could have come from. We haven't had broody chickens.

31409_dsci0941.jpg

31409_dsci0938.jpg

Looks like a quail.. but when I was a kid we had a banty game hen that hatched some pheasantX chicks that looked a little like that.

We have lots of quail coming through our yard from the open space behind our property. The babies do have stripes for the first week or two. They run so fast, I can't get a picture. Parents start out with about 12-14 and are lucky to end up with 2-3. Hawks get them, foxes get them, cats, get them. I've seen the mothers spread their wings to cover their chicks and warm them up. I'm afraid your "quail" will need warmth for a few weeks. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom