Rescue remedy question

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have a hen with one chick, It is her first one and this hen is a witch. They are in a small pen and we would like to transfer them to a bigger one, but Jezebel (the hen) is making it a challenge to do anything with her or her baby, even feed and water them. I wondered if Rescue Remedy in the water would make her more relaxed, and possibly easier to handle, and would it hurt her and/ or the baby if we use the RR over a period of weeks? She charges us with beak, claws, and wings flailing whenever we open the door. It also scares and is probably influencing the chick. Baby is too small probably to let go free range with the moher, as we have a fair amount of predators around and no clue how long mama would protect baby, but we do want to keep them together so mama can hopefully show baby what to do when they do go out to free range. So....bottom line, is Rescue Remedy ok to give over an extended period of time, or at least a couple days a week over the next few weeks?

This hen has never been friendly btw, always nasty around people, so I doubt hormones have much to do with it.

Last edited:
Anybody out there ever tried the cell salt Kali Phos on nervous birds? I have used it on other species with success but never had any poultry that needed it ????

She is smart. I have actually been able to shift her from their night time pen (which is portable) to the chicken tractor outside, and back again,
but putting the doors of the two pens together and then calling her and sometimes using food as an additional incentive. She wants to go in the tractor
during the day, and she has learned that they go inside at night in the smaller pen, and she wants to BE inside at night (it's safer) so she usually marches
right in to the smaller pen at the end of the day, calling baby. It has worked pretty well so far and I don't have to handle her that way.
smile.png

yes it would be fine a few times a week. I was told when I got chicks to give them electrolyte solution in their water to promote good health. Mom is probably hungry and nasty, so it may help her feel stronger.

Since Rescue Remedy is just flower essence I think it would be very safe for your mama hen. FYI they make rescue remedy for pets now too. It is probably the same but you might want to check it out. Hope it helps!

I don't know if dosing her with anything will do any good... she's just being a good momma. Even if she is a b*tch.

Last edited:
I've never tought of Rescue Remedy for attack chickens - but I use it with my 12 yr old Sheltie! It's the human version. Maybe I need some too.

Back
Top Bottom