Rescue Rooster Died

Sorry about your rescue bird.

The more snacks you feed your chicken, the less room there is in its tummy for its well-balanced commercial feed, which supplies all the nutrients it needs. I agree with @Wyorp Rock, an all-flock formula is very good for all your birds, especially if you have some that are not laying, like males, young or old birds, or some who are molting. Only birds that are actively laying need a layer formula; it contains too much calcium for everyone else and can be hard on their kidneys. Keep some oyster shell in a separate dish and only the layers will help themselves to as much as they need.

I rescued a dumped rooster from the road I live on and he seemed to be doing really well for awhile I had him for about three weeks, and because I had another rooster I had to keep him separate from my other chickens, but I converted an old barn room I had into a place for him to stay with a heat lamp and plenty of food and water. I also let him run around outside a lot and he got very comfortable with me handling him and I even put him in a big dog kennel in my other chicken coop so he wouldn’t get attacked but also wouldn’t be lonely. I noticed a couple days ago he stopped eating the usual food I was giving him as much so I started giving him a richer grain with corn chunk in it that he loved and he started to get better but then 2 days ago I noticed he had diarrhea but no other symptoms than that so I didn’t think anything of it because he was still acting normal but then when I went to go check on him yesterday evening to let him out he was dead next to his heat lamp which puzzles me because he was a juvenile and it wasn’t cold. I’d just like to know if anyone knows why he died because he was one of the sweetest roosters i’ve ever taken care of and I want to make sure he wasn’t suffering so I don’t make the same mistake if I happen to rescue another rooster.
So sorry this happened! 😢

I rescued a dumped rooster from the road I live on and he seemed to be doing really well for awhile I had him for about three weeks, and because I had another rooster I had to keep him separate from my other chickens, but I converted an old barn room I had into a place for him to stay with a heat lamp and plenty of food and water. I also let him run around outside a lot and he got very comfortable with me handling him and I even put him in a big dog kennel in my other chicken coop so he wouldn’t get attacked but also wouldn’t be lonely. I noticed a couple days ago he stopped eating the usual food I was giving him as much so I started giving him a richer grain with corn chunk in it that he loved and he started to get better but then 2 days ago I noticed he had diarrhea but no other symptoms than that so I didn’t think anything of it because he was still acting normal but then when I went to go check on him yesterday evening to let him out he was dead next to his heat lamp which puzzles me because he was a juvenile and it wasn’t cold. I’d just like to know if anyone knows why he died because he was one of the sweetest roosters i’ve ever taken care of and I want to make sure he wasn’t suffering so I don’t make the same mistake if I happen to rescue another rooster.
The problems you were having with him could have been caused by some other factors,and nothing you did. First off,anyone who,would "dump" a live animal along the road,obviously doesn't give a Rat's A$$ about anything,so you have no idea if he had suffered some kind of internal injuries from abuse. The B*st**ds obviously wanted him to die.Or maybe he hadn't been fed in a while-or at all-and then when you started feeding him all the nutritious food,it caused his heart to give out.I have had this happen twice with rescues.The diarrhea is the tipoff-his stomach became upset by the suddenly rich diet,and can also indicate the onset of heart failure.Not your fault -if it was this,or any thing else,the conditions that led up to it were staged by where he came from,and not you. PLEASE DON'T be put off from taking on rescues because of this-VERY few want to take on roosters as it is,against the number that give them away.I have been successful with about 99% of the chickens I take on,mostly roosters.It is a shame he didn't make it. But,don't let one who,unfortunately,didn't survive,despite all you tried to do,deprive another one from being saved. At least this guy got a few more weeks of life,instead of dying alongside the road,unprotected. that's the best you can do.

Coccidiosis is probably not an issue for your existing flock if they have been on the same ground for a good while.
The concern is when you bring in a bird and they are introduced to soil and poop they have not encountered before.

For young birds, I would feed an all flock feed or chick starter instead of layer feed. Limit snacks since you want them to eat the feed for most of their diet. Do provide grit (crushed granite) free choice when offering veggies, grains, scratch, etc.
Chick feed MUST be given for the first 16-18 weeks of life,to a chick.Adult food given too soon can cause all kinds of health issues,including damage to the kidneys,because of too much calcium,and shortened life span. If you don't know how old the bird is,it is safer going over 18 weeks,than going under.

Chick feed MUST be given for the first 16-18 weeks of life,to a chick.Adult food given too soon can cause all kinds of health issues,including damage to the kidneys,because of too much calcium,and shortened life span. If you don't know how old the bird is,it is safer going over 18 weeks,than going under.
Thank you for the input.
Chick Starter or an All Flock Feed can be given to chick(en)s at any stage in life.

Sorry to hear it, but it happens with rescue birds. You should always keep newcomers whether rescue, commercial or even chicks form friends separated for at least 2 weeks form the flock. Most problems will reveal themselves in that span and you could act to treat or cull without danger to your other chickens. Good luck in thew future.

Thank you for the input.
Chick Starter or an All Flock Feed can be given to chick(en)s at any stage in life.
Do these products contain calcium, WR? I know layer formulas do. I start my chicks on a chick starter formula, but switch them over to an All Flock by about 8 weeks, when I integrate them with my adult flock. I make the switch gradually over about 3 or 4 weeks.

Do these products contain calcium, WR? I know layer formulas do. I start my chicks on a chick starter formula, but switch them over to an All Flock by about 8 weeks, when I integrate them with my adult flock. I make the switch gradually over about 3 or 4 weeks.
Yes, both chick starter and all flock contain calcium.
Calcium ranges around .75-1.25 in these type of feeds while for Layer Feed calcium 3.25-4.75 or so.
Growing chicks do need a little calcium.

I feed an all flock year round to my flock, I provide oyster shell free choice.
For chicks I may buy some chick starter just so I have it in crumble form, because the all flock I current get is pelleted. But I have just put the pellets in the food processor and ground it down too:)

Yes, both chick starter and all flock contain calcium.
Calcium ranges around .75-1.25 in these type of feeds while for Layer Feed calcium 3.25-4.75 or so.
Growing chicks do need a little calcium.

I feed an all flock year round to my flock, I provide oyster shell free choice.
For chicks I may buy some chick starter just so I have it in crumble form, because the all flock I current get is pelleted. But I have just put the pellets in the food processor and ground it down too:)
Thank you. Sometimes we can get the All Flock in pellets, sometimes only in crumbles. I didn't think about the food processor, good idea.

Thank you. Sometimes we can get the All Flock in pellets, sometimes only in crumbles. I didn't think about the food processor, good idea.
Pellets and crumbles both are hard and will dull the blades over time, so if you use your food processor a lot or you have an expensive one, then consider getting a cheap one from a thrift store or buy the cheapest you can find.

I don't use a processor for cooking/food prep, so several years back I found a cheapo and use it for chick(en) feed. I'm not opposed to using the one I have for my own food too, it washes up perfectly fine, but I have no need for it other than for chick feed.

IF you are finding you need to grind a LOT of feed, it would be more practical to just feed everyone in a mixed flock Chick Starter crumble until the chicks are able to handle pellets. I've done that too. Sometimes on a few rare occasions all flock feed simply was not available, so everybody just got chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom