Rescue rooster is in the Tree!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reese2resque, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Reese2resque

Reese2resque New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I rescued this Rooster from euthanasia, and one of you said I would fall in love with him. He spent about 20 days or so at a local pound. When I picked him up, he went right into my cage, much to my amazement, I thought we would have to chase and fight. He spent 2 days in my garage. On day three I went in, got him in the cage again with no problem. We went to my backyard and I let him out. He dug a large whole with his mighty talons, much like a dog would do, then he began to bathe with the dirt. It was SO cute. He was so glad to be outside, the temps here today where wonderful, in the 60's. I tried to get him back in the cage........well he would not go!! He loved being outside SO much!!!My cats followed him around, but he didnt care. I wanted to get him back in the garage for the night, but he liked the trees. I felt SO bad. My gosh, hes been thru hell. But, after googleing "rooster in the tree", I have found that this is very common. So, I dont feel as bad. Its dark and hes right where he was an hour ago. Today I read the municiple laws for my county, and to my surprise we can have backyard chickens.I can see, more chickens for his company in the future. ANd to the women that said I would become addicted, you very well might be RIGHT!!!
    Reese2resque

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That rocks! Now get him some girls [​IMG]

3. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Chooks are social animals, look for some girlies!!!! That is wunderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish you were close, I'd get you a couple of Barred Rock hens for him.

5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Congratulations, and Welcome to BYC! Not only will you get hooked on the rooster, and then your chickens, but you'll also get hooked on being on this forum, and have to sneak away from your family 187 times a day, just to "check on recent posts". I know what I'm talking about, my 6-year old calls me " byc-addict". Oh well...[​IMG]

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    ... and then when you get EGGS from those girls... you will never be without chickens ever again...
    so be careful.. this addiction can get BAD... someone here throws PARTIES for there birds... and myself, i have over 80 chickens and looking to buy more...

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Post a picture, post a picture!!

They're right about BYC being addictive. I'd planned to have these girls for 2 years then add to my flock.

My 2-year timeline got condensed to just 10 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by