Rescue!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Catfsm, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Catfsm

Catfsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    West Lnn, Oregon
    About a year ago, it was raining here, as it usually does in the lsummer or just about any time of the year! We saw a small rooster running on the road nearby. I phoned our neighbors, but none were missing any of theirs. A few days later there was an all day down pour. We went out to do chores, and returned to find the bedraggled rooster on the point of our pyramid shaped coop. It was obvious he had all but given up and this was his last effort to survive by going to a place where there were other chickens.

I picked him up and dried him off with an old bath towel. I put him on my lap to look him over: He was very thin, and, obviously had not eaten well for a long time. So, I gave him some of our chicken pellets. I observed he hung his head down and did not stand up tall like a proud rooster. It appeared he was too exhausted to hold his head up! He tried to eat, but he could not see the pellets very well. He kept turning his head completely upside down and squinting. I observed other symptoms and concluded he had probably been hit lightly by a car!

After he ate, I gave him a wonderful massage. I rubbed my hands all down his back many times and the sides of his body and his chest and legs. He trembled a lot, and clucked. Finally he calmed down and relaxed.

Over the next few days my friend came to build our little goat barn, and he took the rooster under his arm down into my back yard. The two guys bondedm and the rooster flourished with the bread my friend bought for him and the love.

We put up a dog run I found at a garage sale for him to stay in. I did not put him in with our hens because there was a rooster there already twice this one's size, and I was afraid that the other guy (a huge Plymouth Rock) who was strong and aggressive would kill the new guy. The Plymouth Rock is named Kingy Dee!

Our new guy gained weight and his squinting and having trouble seeing lessened. He began to stand up straight and not hang his head. He is a beauty: Small comb, green legs, beige body, luxurious fluffy tail. I said he looks like a Renaissance Prince, and I named him Princippi Paladoro or Princy.

I do not know what breed he is. Someone said he is an "Easter Egger", but none of the hens ever lay green eggs. He soon got well, but he lacked the power-- the testoterone-- the arrogance-- that makes a REAL rooster. So, I got him some hens. In a few weeks we had 6 new ones to share his coop.

He flourished! He began to strut, to be a little aggressive, to crow a lot, and to mount his hens all day! He is alive and a real Cock!

We let him and his hens free range at the same time as Kingy Dee and his hens. They fought: They ran together fluffing up their feathers and standing tall. They banged chests a few times, and they jumped over one another. Then they worked things out between them. They decided that Kingy is the A Rooster, and Princy is the B. They spend their days outside together with their hens in our yard, eating, taking dust baths, exploring, and sharing the girls.

Princy is a lovely part of our tiny farm, and I am so glad he joined our flock!

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Awww what a sweet sweet story..... Me needs pictures..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

deb

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwww, what a sweet story! Thank you for taking in Princy. I'm sure he is very thankful too!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Yeah, :)

5. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    Oh, I want to see a picture so bad! He sounds like a beauty. We have some EEs (we got them with the hope that they'd be females), but they all turned out to be roosters. They don't do anything except munch on all the food and poop in weird places. I'm kind of surprised they won't mate with the hens. We have plenty, haha!

Can you upload a picture? It would be great to get a look at such a lovely bird. (Speaking of which, I should probably get cracking on posting my own pictures. There are just so many chickens.)

6. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Such a lovely story! I would love to see a picture too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by