rescued 9 chickens and a magpie duck

chilepepper79

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
I have raised chickens before but not a duck a neighbor had 9 chickens and the duck in a land rover for 3 weeks fed them dried bread crumbs and they rarely checked the water by the time I got the courage to confront them they were in terrible shape no feathers on the chickens and they were laying in 6 inches of poop and urine the smell was horrific no ventilation at all now all have new feathers my question is does a magpie duck need a pool or will a tote with water be OK I change the water 3 times a day

I have raised chickens before but not a duck a neighbor had 9 chickens and the duck in a land rover for 3 weeks fed them dried bread crumbs and they rarely checked the water by the time I got the courage to confront them they were in terrible shape no feathers on the chickens and they were laying in 6 inches of poop and urine the smell was horrific no ventilation at all now all have new feathers my question is does a magpie duck need a pool or will a tote with water be OK I change the water 3 times a day
Welcome! You could get the duck a kids sand box and fill it up with water. Maybes even get her a duck friend?

images

Welcome to BYC!

How nice of you to rescue these poor birds. How sad. I don't know anything about ducks. You might want to post questions in our Duck section for those members that keep Ducks and know the in's and out's of keeping them...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with all these newly adopted birds. If you have any questions about anything, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Those poor birds are lucky you rescued them. X3 on check out the Duck forum for advice on dealing with the duck.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Good luck with the rescued birds! I'm sure they'll have a much better life with you.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.
I'm glad you rescued them.

Back
Top Bottom