Rescued 9 chickens and ended up here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 9chickens, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 9chickens

9chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    We got a call the other night that someone had abandoned their dogs, cats, house and 24 chickens. We were asked if we would like the chickens,we weren't ready to take 24 but decided that we could handle 6. We found homes for the other 18. The humane society took the cats and dogs but left the chickens to fend for themselves
    When it got to be dusk we went to round up our 24 chickens. There turned out to be 39 not counting the ones that were dead. We are now the proud care takers for 9 chickens. 4 Rhode island reds, 3 new Hampshire reds and one barred rock.
    The good news is everyone took a couple extras and they all are in good homes.
    Thanks to your forums my chickens are nestled in their quickly built coop. I still need to fine tune a few things and get it sided but they don't seem to care that it looks like an oversized outhouse.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    I'm glad you were able to save the rest of the chickens and give them good homes! [​IMG]

3. 9chickens

9chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Right after the call we started researching and this site had the best info. I am sure the girls are glad we found this forum, they ended up with a fairly decent coop thanks to the info I found here....... I am sure Menards is happy too. My wallet is happy too it lost a lot of weight since we got chickens:rolleyes:

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Wecome to BYC!! Glad you saved some chickens!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

How wonderful for you - and for the rescued chickens!!! [​IMG]

I was continually reminded when I built my first coop that chickens don't care what their coop looks like, just that it's secure, well-ventilated without being drafty, and large enough for them. Oh, and roosts are important, too. Other than that, a wonky, not-level, caulked up "mistakes" in construction and colors aren't anything they'd mind.

Oh, and [​IMG] - so glad you joined us!!

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

You couldn't have found a better place. Congrats on your birds and I hope you make lots of friends and find lots of information here.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you for rescuing them [​IMG] . and [​IMG]

8. CountryFriedChicken

CountryFriedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    nice that you rescused them! And welcome.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] Thank you for the rescue! Where abouts are you located (city/state)

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] from San Diego! Love your name 9chickens [​IMG] Sounds like the girls are very fortunate to have you. You did a fantastic thing! Sounds like you've named your coop already. Now you can say, "Hon, I'm heading down to the Outhouse." [​IMG] [​IMG] Your COOP, ie: Chicken Oversized Outhouse Project [​IMG] Your "Poop Coop" [​IMG]:lol: . . . . okay, I'll stop now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by