Rescued a feral hen... not sure on the breed

Luddite

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
South Wales, UK
A friend who is a gardener was asked by a customer to remove a chicken that was camped out in his garden for weeks and making a mess everywhere. She took some catching (amazing ninja skills, lol) but to cut a long story short she now lives with my other brood in Hotel Cluckyfornia.

She's desperately skittish, but has at least stopped heading for the hedge every time I appear, so I managed to get some photos, although nothing close up. I *think* she's a production RIR, but would appreciate the opinion of some more experienced folks. Do they grow much of a comb? Hers is tiny and pink. Her colour is deep bronze-ginger, iridescent on the head and neck, with black smuts on the tail. She's the same size (but skinnier) as my laying Hylines.

She's a Production Red pullet. Because Production Reds are a mix of red gene breeds, the comb sizes can vary quite a bit from one bird to the next. She should be a good layer though.

She's a Production Red pullet. Because Production Reds are a mix of red gene breeds, the comb sizes can vary quite a bit from one bird to the next. She should be a good layer though.
Thanks Michael
thumbsup.gif

I hope she will be a good layer, at the moment, she's got no idea how a 'proper' hen behaves. Every night I have to wait until she's roosted in the hedge, then lift her down and put her in the coop. I'm hoping that one day she gets the idea and goes into the coop on her own, it will save me getting scratched and bitten.

Thanks Michael
thumbsup.gif

I hope she will be a good layer, at the moment, she's got no idea how a 'proper' hen behaves. Every night I have to wait until she's roosted in the hedge, then lift her down and put her in the coop. I'm hoping that one day she gets the idea and goes into the coop on her own, it will save me getting scratched and bitten.

You're welcome.

Just an update.... the feral hen (now named, as she's decided to stay with us. She's called Beverley, after Beverley Crusher in Star Trek. They all have Star Trek names) has now started sleeping in the coop - I was almost giddy with excitement the first time she did it - and in the past week, started laying. The eggs are quite big for a pullet. She's still skittish, but now comes to the gate instead of running away when I approach with treats.

Just an update.... the feral hen (now named, as she's decided to stay with us. She's called Beverley, after Beverley Crusher in Star Trek. They all have Star Trek names) has now started sleeping in the coop - I was almost giddy with excitement the first time she did it - and in the past week, started laying. The eggs are quite big for a pullet. She's still skittish, but now comes to the gate instead of running away when I approach with treats.
Excellent name choice.
smile.png
I love all the Star Trek series.

What are your other birds named?

Last edited:
Excellent name choice.
smile.png
I love all the Star Trek series.

What are your other birds named?

The others are Uhura, Jadzia and Guinan. There was a Tasha, but unfortunately she died.

Second breakfast this morning: Uhura is the speckled Maran, Jadzia and Guinan are the two Hylines. Beverley is the ginger one (of course!) with her head buried in the bowl of dog food.

Back
Top Bottom