Rescued a frizzle cochin with really bad feet! (PICS)

Thanks guys
big_smile.png

chicmom- When she first arrived here I had her on tetracycline for the resp. infection. She began to improve after about 2 days, I continued the meds for 14 days just to be on the safe side. For her leg mites I used a mixture of Vetrx (also used under her wings and at the back of her neck to help breath better) and vasoline on top of that. Once I began peeling the gunk off I used triple antibiotic ointment on both feet and legs. I think the reason it has taken this long to get this far is the fact that this was the worst case I had ever seen in fact I am not sure it was even scaly leg mites, the chunks I pulled off looked like growths on her feet and legs literally right down to the bone. Once I got some off I inspected it, it was yellow just like her legs and feet once were and very spongy when damp but rock hard when dried out, very bizzare stuff. It was almost like several layers of spongy scales. She sure has come a long way
big_smile.png

I'ts possible that thick gunk is actually old skin that has built up on her legs.
As to spoiling your chickens I actually have an aircondition in my hen house for our summer heat. I'm sure people will think I'm nuts, but our AZ summers can be murder.
Keep up the good work on your little gal. Sounds like she's where she belongs.
To bad you can't turn those people in. Didn't knnow couldn't have chickens where you are. Sorry
hit.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
(well you are new to me
smile.png
)

Come see us in the AZ thread!

sorry for the hijack

Last edited:
Quote:
It wasn't illegal to have chickens before but last year they rewrote the ordinance for this area because of all the illegal chicken activities going on around here. I had the chickens 4 years prior to this new ordinance. Good for you for air conditioning your chooks in the summer heat! Sounds like something I'd do as well. Prissy is definately where she belongs I love her to pieces. Thank you all again for the support
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom