Rescued a hen today...

worm

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
A local shelter had this hen that they seized last week, somewhat neglected lookin and definitely older. She already layed an egg in her temp cage, any thoughts on breed?

96934_rescue_chix.jpg

red sex link probably... poor girl needs some vitamins (baby ones in the water)! you also may want to give her some wet dog food to boost up her protein. Plain yogurt and warm oatmeal is always a nice treat esp since this poor girl needs some love!!!

Thanks for the replies, She is drinking and p**ping so her future is looking brighter already!

The egg she laid was a VERY pale brown if that helps with breed distinction...
Any thoughts on introducing her to "the gang"?
hugs.gif

Quote:
I would wait until she gets better. I had a girl of this breed get sick and all the girls picked on her...

You will definitely want to keep her quarantined for a couple of weeks to make sure she's not carrying anything that can be passed on to your other birds. You might want to treat her for worms and mites along with the other great advice folks have given you as far as getting her back on the road to being healthy. Boiled egg yolk is also good for perking birds up. She looks like a red sex link to me and should be a good layer if she isn't too terribly old.

Aw, the poor thing
sad.png

That is a highly abused Production Red. I would not be surprised if she came from a battery cage commercial egg facility because she's been de-beaked.

Thank goodness that she has a guardian angel like you to rescue her!

Back
Top Bottom