Rescued a very neglected Indian Runner.. need advice pls

Pics
Do you buy 50lb bags? to me it would be hard to get it mixed right.
I do. And since the yeast flakes are fine, they end up settling to the bottom, but I just mix it up really well each morning when I put out their feed. I've read that it's very hard to overdo the yeast, so I'm not super careful about it.

If I have a bird who shows symptoms of deficiency (like Apple did when I first brought her home), I put niacin on her feed. And that I am more careful about.

I have to share!!! My Hazel - I’m giving her Vit B Complex - going well. She walks better already but I have noticed she walks on her tip toes … I suspect her odd gait is simply her genetics.

BUT!!!! I have amazing news! Background - i rehomed my beloved duck Monkey because he wanted to mate and needed Muscovys just for him (he and Hazel loved each other so much, slept together every day but he was HUGE. She is just too small for him. 12 lbs vs 2lbs. So I chose to find him a good home for Hazel’s well being. ). But! I didn’t realize until 2 days ago - that the amount of time 2-3 weeks- Hazel has been staying in the coop all day is the EXACT time since I rehomed my Monkey. ! I realized that she missed him!! I think she was sad and that’s why she withdrew and stayed in the coop. 💗 broke my heart when I realized it. …. But! I decided that it was time to help her finish her mourning and move on. So I closed up the coop door yesterday morn after I let them out for the morning. I feel terrible about it. (She paced and paced outside of it..). I left it closed til bedtime.

I closed it up again this morning. 🥲 felt bad about it again … but if I can help her thru this it’s worth it.

I just went out and checked on her, decided to open the coop door for 1-2 hours. Then close it.

Well! She stayed outside in the sunshine!!!!!!! With the other ducks. Oh my lands, my heart is very happy for her 💗 she is basking in the sunshine like she always has (she used to sit for hours in the sun - loved it!!!)
She hasn’t gone back in the coop!

Isn’t that an amazing story? My sweet girl. I think she will be ok. 💕

Back
Top Bottom