Rescued abandoned chicken - no prior chicken experience - HELP

nibog

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Ok, before you think I am nuts, let me explain the situation. I live in North Providence RI, a suburban town with out any farm land.

Our nightmare neighbors behind us, who we unfortunately have a poor relationship with due to lots of other circumstances, got chickens near the beginning of the summer. (Early May-ish). He built a rather impressive looking coop and seemed to have about 4-6 hens from what we saw over the fence. We didn't mind as I thought they were actually cute, quiet, and never smelled.

A couple weeks ago he dismantled the coop but the chickens were still in his back yard. We figured he was scraping it to build a new one.

My husband and I went away this past weekend (Fri - Sun). My cousin came over those days to give our cat his twice daily thyroid medication, and was greeted Friday evening by a chicken on our front lawn. She called me and I told her to ring the doorbell for our neighbors but they never answered. She waited an hour but they didn't come home. She tried again twice Sat and Sunday morning before we got back from out mini vacation. They still haven't come home. Yesterday evening, (Sunday), we pulled up from our vacation and she came walking over as we were unloading our trunk. I lead the chicken into our backyard and gated her in so she wouldn't get run over or come across a dog. She was quite thirsty, I do not know where she has been finding water since Friday as it hasn't rained and my cousin said that the chicken was in our garden every time she came over. I left a voicemail and an email for animal control explaining our situation.

Animal control came by today to check the chicken and informed me that keeping chickens is illegal in our town. They left a notice on our neighbors front door. He went in the back yard and found that all the chickens, coop, coop material and feed were gone. He was going to give them a few days asked if I minded keeping the chicken in our fenced in back yard as our town isn't equipped to house chickens at the animal shelter and he didn't want to lock her into a metal cage near cats and dogs. He wanted to get them to admit ownership before finding a permanent home. He is assuming that my neighbor might have "released" the chickens from the yard before going away....there is a wooded park that our street empties out into, maybe he thought they would enter it.

I told the animal control officer that was fine for her to stay for the few days and that I had offers from coworkers in nearby towns with out bans no livestock/chickens to take her in for a permanent home. He said that if I could house her for a few days while they tried to reach the neighbors then I would be able to rehome her.

I went online last night and found your link about what to feed chickens - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens and made her a mix of chopped carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, raisins, bits of bread, and cheerios. In a separate dish I also put in a teaspoon amount of plain yogurt. (This is what I had fresh in the house from being away. ) I let her nibble the yogurt for a couple minutes then took it away and let her have the rest. I have had trouble locating a chicken feed that I can use for her in our local pet stores. They all look at me like I am crazy!

She is quite friendly and follows me around the yard clucking at me and pecking at my rain boots (learned to put on boots after she showed a lot of interest in my feet when wearing sandals!) This evening she is having very watery, loose stool and I am concerned about her. I have shade over about 1/3 of the back yard and it is in the mid 80*s and quite humid today. I misted the ground in one corner of the yard in case she preferred slightly damp grass and ground to scratch in. I have seen her scratching through out the day and eating bugs - my husband is approving of this lol.

Any advice for me and Henrietta? I don't want to do anything to harm her! Again, she is not going to be with me for more than a few days but I want to make sure those are a healthy and stress free few days!

Greeting us at the car...

Entering my back yard like she lives here

Food!!

Caught the cat's attention! Don't worry, they are all indoor cats!

Thinks she owns the place

Last edited:
Aww, good on you for helping this hen. Hope she finds a new home soon. I think you're doing fine thus far. Does she have somewhere safe she can roost @ night? As far as her watery poop. Here's a chart you can refer to:

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html

Just what you wanted, huh?
big_smile.png

Good luck!

Aww, good on you for helping this hen. Hope she finds a new home soon. I think you're doing fine thus far. Does she have somewhere safe she can roost @ night? As far as her watery poop. Here's a chart you can refer to:

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html

Just what you wanted, huh?
big_smile.png

Good luck!
I am not sure what she needs to roost, but our back yard is a slight hill and our back porch is level with the ground at one end and two feet off the ground at another. She has gone under there for shade and likes to be in the bushes at the other end of the yard where it is always shady. Is this enough to get her by a few days?

I will read that page now - - never thought I would be doing this!

Her droppings are exactly like that under "watery droppings" - it says the following "Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot. It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings. It can also be a sign that the hens are not eating enough too."

So is it just a sign of heat discomfort and not that she is ill/being given poor foods? - I was panicking thinking I was making her ill by the foods I gave her!

I have gone out at least once an hour since this morning to check on her - she has really grown on me!

Change in diet and increased veggies can certainly make poo more watery, I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage. :)

Bless you for caring about her! And for the Animal Control officer to actually suggest you keep her until .... Well, for more than five minutes! (Actually, it has been my experience Animal Control officers are often very caring animal lovers with soft hearts which can get them into trouble at times.)

She's a cutie. Hope you can find her a suitable home with other chickens. Meanwhile, I bet you spend a whole lot of time watching her!

I was surprised the AC officer asked if I would keep her. I thought he would definitely be taking her away. I was pleased that he didn't want to lock her in a cage so close to dogs and cats...the stress of that could not have been good for her! She is enjoying my backyard right now, but I think she will definitely appreciate being with other chickens again soon!

I enjoyed reading your story. It's very warmhearted of you to take in this chicken -especially when you don't have any prior experience! It sounds like she was very lucky to find you.

Please pardon me if I missed this somewhere, but it sounds as though you are intending to let her sleep in your back yard. I don't want to scare you, but one of the first and most painful lessons many first time chicken care-givers learn is that it is very easy for a chicken to succumb to predators; especially at night. A chicken that is not locked up in a secure enclosure well before night fall is at a very high risk of becoming something's dinner. Would it be possible to perhaps catch her and keep her in a cage (a cat crate maybe?) in your garage at night? That or a similar set up would be an easy way to ensure her safety.

Also, I'f you're only keeping her for a few days, I think you could get by without chicken feed. What you gave her sounds alright, and I would suggest adding a little cat food for calories and protein. Chickens love cat food. She'll love you for ever if you give her some!

The best of luck to you and your new friend!

Last edited:
Hi!
Thank you for your concern. I did not know that I had to confine her at night. I feel a bit stupid now, as I realized that is what coops are supposed to be for! I only use those cloth/collapsible carriers for our cats.

I will try and figure something more appropriate tonight. Only thing in mind that I have in the house is a laundry basket....don't think that will work! She has been lucky so far - I know she wasn't confined for weeks before I found her and she managed a few nights wandering our neighborhood. Will a laundry basket with something weighing it down work? I will also put the word out if anyone has a large dog crate they can let me borrow.

She has really figured out our routine - she was waiting for me at the back porch door this morning!

Oh, and for cat food....I am sorry in advance for coming off silly, but wet or dry cat food?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom