Rescued banty roo, what is he? (Pics) He's real handsome!

OK, so a fellow from Australia says he is definitely an Old English Game Bantam. His color is called Red-Dun.

I agree with this.
I have seen a couple of these guys at auctions around the place.

whata sweetie:)

what ya gonna call him?​

I hate to say it in a public forum, but the guy from Australia is wrong. I have some Dun birds here (it came from Grey Junglefowl hybrids) and that bird is not Dun.
That is what you call Lemon-Blue.
The ones called Blue Wheaton or Blue Red have a red colored wing-bay. Look at the difference in birchen and silver duckwing.
That bird is a red or gold on birchen with blue added.
So the correct term is Lemon Blue.

Last edited:
'dun' and not 'Dunn'. It's an English word that means a color combination of drab or grey contrasted with some other color. It's not a proper name and doesn't apply to specific breed. So in fact, the rooster in the pic IS 'red-dun' regardless of what breed he is.

Last edited:
It is a proper name for the color Dun, which is different than andalusian blue, and different than self blue.
It is Dun. I have some Dun Gold Phoenix here. It breeds the same as andalusian blue, but looks entirely different.
Blue Reds are made on e+, or duckwing.... with andalusian blue added
Lemon Blues are made on ER, or birchen.... with andalusian blue added

Dun Reds (or Dun Silvers, or Dun Golds) are made on e+ with Dun added.
Lemon Duns are made on ER with Dun added. Lemon Blues are acceptable with almost no red, to almost all red in the hackle and saddle.

There is a difference, hence the distinction.

You can look up Lemon Blue and Blue Red and see the difference.
The Lemon Blue has no colored wingbay.

The bird in the picture is a LEMON BLUE.

Despite the debate on the color, it is definitely an OEGB. And a handsome fellow at that, too!
smile.png

He looks just like my Blue OEGB banty roo looked....he was beautiful and died suddenly of I don't know what. We miss him. What a beautiful combo of colors.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom