Rescued bunny with behavioral issues, please help!

Quote:
They do need Timothy hay to keep their digestive tract in good working order. Pet stores sell cubes of it, but my bunny never liked them and insisted on fresh (very spoiled, she was!).
Have you ever checked out the House Rabbit Society's website? I think it's www.rabbit.org. They have fabulous info on all things bunny.
smile.png

Quote:
I'm sorry Gypsy, but which I agree with you on most of what you have said, I just don't see how the rabbit will ever learn to trust them if they force her to be handled. Its one thing with a tiny baby bunny who has never been handled but this is a full grown rabbit who has probably been neglected and mistreated and has every right to not trust humans. Yes, it is a common misconception that rabbits come into heat. Another really common misconceoption is that rabbits make great pets who love to be handled and snuggled. This is not true and while so and so may have had a awesome pet rabbit who loved to be held and even gave kisses or whatever, that is the exception, not the rule. Most rabbit will never, ever enjoy being handled no matter how much time you spend with them. It scares them, it's supposed to as everything loves a rabbit dinner and when your a rabbit, something bigger than you grabbing your body means "Holy cow, I'm about to be eaten!"
IMO if you want a pet to hold and cuddle, get a cat or a small dog... A rabbit isn't it. They want their feet on the floor at all times, they'll be okay with being touched, as long as they trust you. Rabbits are more like fish than anything else. They are a watch and look at pet, not a hands on pet. Even my really friendls house rabbits detests being held and he's nuetered and litter box trained. The tamest of my rabbits is my Angora who has been handled a ton from the time he was a baby and he too cannot stand the sensation of being lifted. He is groomed on a daily basis though for around 20 minutes.
I just see forcing it as doing more harm than good. That rabbit needs time to adjust to her new (again) surroundings.

Spend time with her but ignore her. Read a book or something near her so she gets used to you. I rescues a bun from an abusive situation and it took her 6 months to finally warm up to me. Spaying will help if you're the sort to want to spend money on it. All my buns are spayed and neutered.

no one mentioned this...but you have no idea what this poor bun went through.

If it was dropped! They remember and this could be why too that it's acting the way it does. They get nasty. and no, we have never dropped one bun here.

Did you say how old the children where that were holding it...This was probably the best move that the family could do to save this bun...hope so...
My 2 cents
melinda

well beings you all know way more about the rabbits than I do I will just let everyone defer to you all makes no mever mind to me.
after all you all I am sure have way more experience than I could ever have with over 20 years of raising rabbits behind me.

I will stay out of all the rabbit related questions from here out.

Back
Top Bottom