Rescued chicken, what am I ?

hahhaahha OMG, baby eagle! That is great~ having baby eagles a few blocks away, i think we can say, NOPE!

i would say some mix

maybe a chicken hawk
lau.gif

Chicken hawk... LOL. I guess I can see where someone would think eagle if they just saw her head (she's getting much darker feathering now, she was almost all white)...

One of the things I miss about not being in the wildlife rehab center every day is opening the boxes people bring and seeing what they really have! Pidgeon chicks are usually vultures or dodo birds... etc... ahh good times..

What I can do now that I'm not in the wildlife rehab center is take the domestics that get dumped overnight and try to find them homes. Sometimes it is mistaken identity, they really think it is a wild bird when it's really a domestic. Sometimes people just don't want to bother with going to animal control.

I'm glad this mottled mutt finally bonded with my other hens, I can see that she may have been driven from her other flock, she doesn't know how to interact with other birds, or maybe she was raised solo? She's learning!

Time to distribute treats to the birds!

Susan

where in san diego? My husband is from rancho bernardo and i lived in spring valley. His family teaches at RB high and Mt. Carmel High.

And my question would have been, And where did you get this baby eagle? The answer would have been funnier then them guessing it was an eagle...answer ummmmm the Koby swap meet...............LOL

LOL, a baby eagle. That's too funny. Somewhere there is a city person telling all of his/her friends that they rescued a poor baby eagle and turned it in to wildlife rehab. If they only knew!

Sillystunt, I live in Scripps Ranch, but the carecenter is near Old Town.

I guess identification of domestic vs wild is getting more difficult, but the eagle chick just tickled my funny bone. There are so many fancy domestic chickens and ducks making their way to backyard homes now that even the chicks that are found are often confused with wild birds due to the coloring. The old days of "yellow or white down = domestic" are just not true anymore! And the duck identification!!! oh my.

A lot of "quail" chicks come in that are really bantam chicken chicks, or domestic quail chicks.

We have a book with pictures of adults and babies of domestics, esp with ducks, to help at the center. The only yellow duckling pics were of Pekins.. So I need to send them updated info. I'm thinking of sending them a catalog of fancy chicken pictures of adults and chicks just for their amusement.

We had a "Turkey Vulture" in the system for a while that turned out to be a game hen. I missed that ID because I was going off of a cell phone picture. I was pretty sure it was some kind of chicken but for a while we thought it was a domestic turkey.. hehe.

Seems like this whole ID my bird thing is ripe for a cell phone application!
iChicken hahaa (hmmM!)

Susan

Quote:
I used to work at LA Fitness in Poway....LOL love that area! And Old Town, sigh. I miss that area, i worked in the gaslamp district @ habana Club Cafe'

Quote:
roll.png
i am from the city, even i knew that isn't an eagle...LOL

You may be from the city, but your not a "city slicker." You're a BYCer. That makes you a whole different class of person.

Quote:
roll.png
i am from the city, even i knew that isn't an eagle...LOL

You may be from the city, but your not a "city slicker." You're a BYCer. That makes you a whole different class of person.

lol, there are some baked city slickers in S.D LMAO!

Back
Top Bottom