Rescued Chicken

bjbingham

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2016
Today I got a call from a friend asking me if I wanted a chicken. Her neighbor had a chicken that was wondering into her yard every day and today ended up in her garage. She was wondering if I would give it a home. I was trying to figure out what what breed the chicken is, so let's put our brains together and see if you can help me identify this chicken. I am guessing he is about 2 months old unless he is a bantam.

Agree she's a game hen. I don't know if she's mixed, or if her comb is torn up. She's definitely a she, and basically full grown. I'm not sure why her comb is so pale, she may be headed into a molt, or simply not had good nutrition while on walkabout.

They're great little birds, but prone to wander unless properly contained. they're great foragers and make wonderful broody mommas.

Thanks for all the help. The comb was damaged. So is she just an ornamental bird? How well do they get along with other chickens and kids? She was very gentle with me and was well behaved when I got her.

Not ornamental at all. They're more "primitive" than the dual purpose breeds, more like what a wild chicken would be. Hardy, good foragers, great parents. Mine have been great layers when they weren't broody.

Not sure how they do with kiddos. Mind did fine with the rest of the flock, but they were sure near the top of the pecking order. They may be little, but they're full of attitude toward the bigger birds. Not mean, just very, very confident
big_smile.png

Learning lots all the time. I am still new to the chickens as I have only had them since April. She is in a coop with 52 other chickens. She was in a kennel for a while in the coop so they could interact without direct contact. I took her out today and she was really apprehensive and very curious. While all the others were busy eating, she wandered around and looked at everything. If another chicken made a quick movement she would jump. After giving her feed and water she has really perked up and is looking a lot better. She is my first rescue experience. I am looking forward to seeing how she does. In a few weeks all the 4-H chickens will be gone and the pecking order will definitely change. We will see where she is placed in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom