Rescued chickens

My8chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
SW Iowa
We rescued 7 hens and 1 rooster about 10 days ago. They are: 2 Ameraucana, 2 RIRs, 1 Buff Orp, the rooster is a RIR, and we have 2 RIRs that should be laying in a couple months. We really have no idea how old any of them are. Their previous home was not a good one: the guy had too many chickens, and the place wasn't clean. The 2 Ameraucanas are molting, and I know one of them is laying, the Buff Orp isn't laying, and I'm sure the 2 older RIRs are laying. On average, we get 3 eggs/day. I have lots of questions:
*They won't go outside! any suggestions?
*Is it ok to give them "treats" daily. I usually give them fruits and veggies and bread.
*One of the older RIRs has lost all the feathers on her back due to too many roosters at their previous home. Will they grow back? Is there a way I can speed along the process, as it will soon be winter?
*Would it be beneficial to deworm them all, since we don't know it they have ever been dewormed?
Any other advice for rescuing older chickens?

*They won't go outside! any suggestions?

You mean they won't leave the coop? Put treats down the ramp and lure them out. They should catch on to the concept of freedom pretty quickly.

*Is it ok to give them "treats" daily. I usually give them fruits and veggies and bread.
*One of the older RIRs has lost all the feathers on her back due to too many roosters at their previous home. Will they grow back? Is there a way I can speed along the process, as it will soon be winter?
*Would it be beneficial to deworm them all, since we don't know it they have ever been dewormed?

It certainly couldn't hurt IMO.

Thank you for the reply!
After I posted this, I went to open the coop door, and they were waiting to come outside! They only stay out for a couple minutes, but I think they are starting to get the concept! But I will put treats on the ramp for more encouragement.

I have never rescued chickens, but I've rescued a fair amount of dogs in my life and they always need time to figure things out. Especially the ones that come from bad conditions (puppy mills, laboratories). They literally don't know what to do with themselves at first. I figure chickens are the same way.

Back
Top Bottom