Rescued chicks from a feed store

handtmorgan

Chirping
May 8, 2021
I went into the feed store for 2 hatchlings to place under our broody, and I came out with the 2 plus 6 rescues that had been there too long and we're in bad shape. Thin feathers, bald spots, too large for the pen, and probably malnourished.

Truthfully I was more inclined to take the poor babies because they said I was getting Salmon Faverolles, which I had just read about and was interested in. I hadn't read enough bc come to find out Faverolles have 5 toes. These have 4.

I called and asked what else are they likely to be and they said Partridge Wyandottes. So I start researching those. They seem to be a more brown mottled with blond, and these are not.

They are pale blonde to the wings almost being white and a pale lemon drop yellow on the head.

Please tell me what they could be - anybody with chicken knowledge! I love to know all about my chicks so I can be the best caretaker and know what to expect.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_150306580_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210514_150306580_HDR.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 43
Looks like they might be either Buff Orpingtons or white leghorns. But of course, I could be completely wrong. Also, What kind of combs do they have?
They aren't the color of buff orps, but I could believe white leghorns since I hey are so very pale...never seen any before though. Thanks for your input.

The white chicks aren't in bad condition. They are cornish cross chickens, and that is normal for the breed. They have lots of featherless patches where skin can show through, because that's how they were bred (for easy feather plucking). Honestly, yours look really healthy for a cornish cross.

Cornish Cross are an industrial meat breed. They often do not live long, happy lives and die early of heart failure. They suffer from leg issues, and can't be kept on free feed because they will eat themselves to death. If you are committed to keeping your cornish cross, read this thread for some tips on how to keep them healthy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/experimenting-with-a-few-meat-birds-as-pets.1449592/
It is possible for them to live a somewhat normal life, but it takes a lot of work and commitment.

Back
Top Bottom