Rescued chicks from a feed store

Cornish Cross makes sense with the bare feather patches and they feel very meaty when I pick them up. Yeah, legs are very thick too. I think we have a winner.

It really is. 🙁 I wish feed stores wouldn't sell Cornish cross, so that people don't accidently buy them.

Heart and leg issues can be prevented with a low protein diet and lots of excercise. Cornish X can never be kept on free feed and should never be fed high fat treats like corn, scratch, and mealworms.
Where else are we supposed to buy them? Mail order is iffy at best, especially this year. It's up to the consumer to figure out what they're buying before you buy it. When you (any you, not you in particular) make an emotional "rescue", which really isn't a rescue, you run the risk of getting what you weren't hoping for. Maybe your feed store had them mixed up with others, but mine had about 100 of them clearly labeled when I was there Friday. CX are pretty easy to spot, and the ones there, look like they will make a wonderful dinner in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Well I got 3 barred rock and 3 CX weeks-old chicks free with the 2 babies I bought. The store was so desperate to get them out that they told me "buy 1, get 6 or more free", and they really only had the height space of their body height in the little stacked trays they keep, so yeah, it was bad conditions and a rescue. I've actually never been to a store where they were kept like that (and won't go back), but after calling 5 stores, this was the only place in our town that was selling the type of baby chicks I wanted.

It was also a price decision to get free chicks to add to our little flock and was told they were faverolles that I actually wanted. I don't care if they sell meat chickens or not. I just want to be told the correct breed so I can best care for them and know what to expect. ***which is what the post was about, finding the right breed***.

Not everyone is a chicken expert right away when starting to raise chicks. I even told them I like to study the breed before buying and pulled up the information for the breeds they were listing off right there in the store and skimmed through the details.

I agree that you should be able to buy the type of chicken you need in a store, but as you said, "an emotional "rescue", which really isn't a rescue" is NOT correct. I think the problem here is mis-labeling of the chicks that the feed stores sell or telling the person anything they want to hear just to get rid of the chicks.

I very much appreciate all of the folks who helped me identify the breed. I'm not here to argue or to be insulted over chickens. This is a hobby we enjoy and want to keep it that way MissE.

@handtmorgan
I think it is great that you rescued those chicks and it sounds like a great deal. I am sorry that you were mislead about what they are and you didn't get what you really wanted, but you are giving them a great home and that is a wonderful thing.

The issue with the broiler breeds is that they are a terminal breed. They will grow bigger than their bodies can handle. It may be a great learning experience for you and the kids to raise them and use them for their purpose. Learn where your food comes from. It is sad/hard to butcher them, maybe you can find a place nearby that will do the deed for you. You may have named them, but that doesn't change the fact that they will grow so large that they can break their legs just by walking, or they will die of organ failure. They will also push your other chickens away from the food as they gorge themselves. It is sad to check on them in the morning and find them dead in the pen from a heart attack ...

My friends daughter would hold and cuddle my broiler chicks and love on them, then put them back in the pen and say "see you for supper". She knows that chicks grow up to be chickens, and chicken-n-dumplings is tasty.

@handtmorgan
I think it is great that you rescued those chicks and it sounds like a great deal. I am sorry that you were mislead about what they are and you didn't get what you really wanted, but you are giving them a great home and that is a wonderful thing.

The issue with the broiler breeds is that they are a terminal breed. They will grow bigger than their bodies can handle. It may be a great learning experience for you and the kids to raise them and use them for their purpose. Learn where your food comes from. It is sad/hard to butcher them, maybe you can find a place nearby that will do the deed for you. You may have named them, but that doesn't change the fact that they will grow so large that they can break their legs just by walking, or they will die of organ failure. They will also push your other chickens away from the food as they gorge themselves. It is sad to check on them in the morning and find them dead in the pen from a heart attack ...

My friends daughter would hold and cuddle my broiler chicks and love on them, then put them back in the pen and say "see you for supper". She knows that chicks grow up to be chickens, and chicken-n-dumplings is tasty.
Thanks, I like your perspective. It will definitely be a learning experience and will do the best we can.

How they looked when I got them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_184745539.jpg
    IMG_20210511_184745539.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210511_184749198.jpg
    IMG_20210511_184749198.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom