Rescued duck

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
6382_pc310476.jpg

Yesterday, my vet called me. Somebody dumped a duck on him, and he needed a place to go. Of course, I went and got him. It seems that an elderly man bought 4 ducklings at Tractor Supply. He was keeping them as house pets, but we all know that can only be temporary. He put the 4 ducks outside, and 3 disappeared. Imagine that, duckings out in the yard with no protection disappearing! Duh!! So he brought the last duckling back into the house. Now he can't take care of it. I don't know why. He told the vet that he was leaving town. I suspect he is going to a nursing home. He told the vet that the duckling is 6 - 7 weeks old. He also said that this duckling didn't grow or develop as fast as the others. The others were feathering when they disappeared. The little guy is a very friendly little thing. However, he will only eat dry catfood and only out of my hand. The old man was feeding him catfood. I have Purina Flockraiser, but he won't touch it. He does, however, seem quite adept at removing most of the water from the rubber water tub. I have him by himself in a run since it's nice out today. Last night it was chilly, so he was in a cage with supplemental heat. I have a friend that has a few ducks that may take hime. Right now all of her ducks are adults so he is not big enough to go to her house. There is also the possibility that I will become to attached to Chester (oh no! he has a name! I'm doomed!) and keep him. How would he do with chickens and no pond? Will the history of catfood diet hurt him? Any ideas about getting him to eat the Flockraiser? What breed is he? With all that yellow fuzz could he really be 6-7 weeks old? I haven't had ducks since I was kid, and those were Muscovies. Any help would be appreciated. Is there anybody in the area (I live just outside Omaha, Nebraska) that needs a duckling?

I can't answer any of your questions about raising ducks, but just wanted to say I'm glad you got him! Your a good person Jody.
smile.png

He does look awfully big to be that fuzzy.

Can you crush up some cat food and mix it with the flock raiser?

too me he also looks large to be so fuzzy! Adorable though. My 'scovies won't eat anything new(yes they are spoiled/picky) until they have been offered it a lot. I would keep offering it too him. Dry cat food while not ideal as a duck food also isn't the worst thing for him, at least its high in protein
wink.png
Keep offering him the flock raiser and he will eat it eventually and be better off for it. Mine get into the catfood dish as often as they can they love it.
Breed? I have no idea. But chester is cute.

He looks like a pekin. Does he have any feathers coming in at all?
He looks to be about 2 to 3 weeks.

Maybe the man was confused as to how long he had them and about the feathering on the others. I see stiff feathers from his tail, so 2 to 3 weeks is my guess.

He sure is a cutie and just keep cuddling him as long as he lets you.

He is huge and fuzzy. Does he need supplemental heat during the day? It's in the low 60's in the morning and gets up to about 75 in the afternoon. It's colder at night, and he has slept with a heat lamp the last two nights. I don't think he had supplemental heat at all at the old man's house. Maybe that's why he's a little behind developmentally. Our Tractor Supply hasn't had ducklings in over a month, so he is probably older than he looks. Hopefully, the slow start won't cause any permanent damage. He seems so lonely. Would it help to put a quiet chicken in with him?

I imagine you can just put him in with chickens. We have 27 Muscovy ducklings running with 43 chicks and 5 guineas with no pond, just waterers.

I am glad you took the little one. Sweet looking duckling. You can put some chopped up raw spinach leaves on top of the flock raiser and get him started that way...cut it into pieces about 1/4" long...spinach leaves, lettuce, fresh tomato are all loved by my ducklings.

If need be break up the cat food and mix it with the flock raiser.... the duckie will eat....if need be confine duckie to a small cage with food and water for a day or so until it is eating on its own...just keep an eye on it.

It will need some sort of deep water so that it can get its head in and clean its face and bill. But it may get along with the chickens. Why not get another duckie friend for it?

Right now give it supplemetal heat just make sure it can get out of the heat if it needs to..but during the day when it is say mid 70's it will do fine as long as it can get out of drafts.

PS: If you need a vacation just bring little duckie over here to Southern Oregon...call when you I-5 and the border...I would take the little cutie pie.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom