rescued feral chicken is ANXIOUS

I think you're doing better to keep her. She's in a bad area for a feral, and could be hit by a car or mauled by a dog or cat.

I think you should go with your plan and see how she does in a few weeks. But good cover in the run might help, and I'd check for eggs where you found her.

I will tell you now that as a feral chicken her life will not be as long. A lady down the road died and the family just let the chickens loose. The numbers dwindled down till last year when I put up my pen there were only four left. Something got two of them then the remaining pair hatched biddies. At about six weeks dogs came through and wiped out all but one baby. So, one rooster, two hens left. A couple weeks ago something got the last two hens. The rooster has taken up in my yard and hangs out waiting for mine to free range. I am trying to get him tamed up but he wants so badly to roost in the trees by nightfall. I am afraid something is going to happen to him before I can get him to stay inside. Life on your own as a feral is tough.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom