RESCUED FREE RANGE HENS!, sad story to go with it.

Wait.. How do you know the hens are being mistreated? Because they are bald? It is molting season. Some of my hens look like I took my dog's razor to them. :confused:

Although I'm glad you gave them another season of laying. My RSL hen I took home lays through a molt and is 3 years old.

I doubt they would care enough to do that :/ and I don't think they are being miss treated really its just not what I thaught a "free range" farm would look like and the woman said to me " the bald ones are quicker too because they have to run away from the ones above them"

I doubt they would care enough to do that :/ and I don't think they are being miss treated really its just not what I thaught a "free range" farm would look like and the woman said to me " the bald ones are quicker too because they have to run away from the ones above them"
What did it look like? I'm sure some of my birds look pretty terrible to some right now.
_MG_6143.jpg
Almost everyone that raises chickens for eggs alone will kill off their layers once they start to molt - but a lot will sell them to people like you and I before sending them off.

Half the hens in there are a lot worse than the girl you posted, and she is worse than any battery hen I have had she honestly didn't have anymore than 2-3 feathers, and thanks I know she's doomed, I just feel so guilty, I just remember how small she was and how cute she was, why didn't I do what I wanted to dothen she would have been sitting nice and warm in my shed :(

You did an awesome thing in saving 8 hens! I hope they bring you a lot of joy.
It might not have been meant for you to take her. The lady night have been right-maybe she wouldn't have lasted that much longer. You just can't know. At least if she was going to pass soon, she didn't undergo any stress of being moved.
Just give a little extra love to your 8 new girls for her, she'd want that. :)

Back
Top Bottom