Rescued from fighting cock home

Help me chicken head

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2019
My husband was on a job at someone’s home that happened to raise fighting cocks, and this little chicken started following him around. He ended up asking the homeowner if he could take the chicken home, and they agreed. I haven’t the slightest clue about raising chickens, and I don’t know it’s breed or gender or anything. Please help. It runs from me and my daughter, but follows my husband around like he’s it’s father.
2B1679D0-875E-463B-BB01-18A73BD16B27.jpeg

:welcome

Look like a young pullet. That means female.

This is a great place to learn about chicken keeping. Lots of great info in the articles section.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Chickens are flock animals so you should get at least 2 friends for her of similar age. Around 12 weeks from the looks of her.

You will need a coop, starter/grower feed and a safe run for when you cannot be out in the yard with her so hawks don't find her a target.

looks like a production red pullet or New Hampshire red after zooming in. Probably being raised for training in an illegal sport, Seems to be happy though at your home.. flock raiser /all flock depending on the brand and plenty of water, and safe place to roost , there is a bunch of educational stuff in the forums too. did they give him any information on age?
go easy on treats they shouldn't be more than 10% of their feed, but treats are usually a good way to make friends quickly

Last edited:
:welcome

Look like a young pullet. That means female.

This is a great place to learn about chicken keeping. Lots of great info in the articles section.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Chickens are flock animals so you should get at least 2 friends for her of similar age. Around 12 weeks from the looks of her.

You will need a coop, starter/grower feed and a safe run for when you cannot be out in the yard with her so hawks don't find her a target.
Thank you

looks like a production red pullet or New Hampshire red after zooming in. Probably being raised for training in an illegal sport, Seems to be happy though at your home.. flock raiser /all flock depending on the brand and plenty of water, and safe place to roost , there is a bunch of educational stuff in the forums too. did they give him any information on age?
go easy on treats they shouldn't be more than 10 of their feed, but treats are usually a good way to make friends quickly
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom