Rescued Goat has issue with her butt, looks horrible

Like others have suggested, call a vet and they will be able to do thorough checks on her. It's difficult to know for sure without seeing it in person.

It could be cancerous but it could also just be a non cancerous growth or injury that's became infected. A vet will do tests.

If she's had young and never been milked or checked on, there's a possibility she also has mastitis in her udder. Her left udder looks pretty swollen. They can also get this due to their living conditions so quite possibly if her pervious owner wasn't the best on keeping her bedding clean and dry, she's ended up with an udder infection and possibly an infected bum.

Of course, I don't know for sure I'm basing this on what I know from working with cattle a few years back. I do have goats but only males so udders on goats are not my forte.

Keep the areas clean and watch for any changes but a vet will be needed and I think some antibiotics as well as a cream to apply would be prescribed by them. They may also take some swabs or tissue from the area to test.

I hope she makes a good recovery :hugs

I've got two trains of thought here.

She may have been bred, kidded, and we are seeing the end result of some sort of infection (as mentioned, mastitis is possible.) Uterine infections are common in does housed in unclean birthing environments, or improper human intervention, or even retained birth matter.

A tumor like growth is also possible and can account for the teat secretions, like another poster mentioned. I am really leaning against this and toward poor breeding situation.
There is information about this udder situation in Holistic Goat Care, with a picture of a similar struggling doe udder wise. Mastitis is indeed the diagnosis. I cannot account for her poor rear, but my knowledge of the reproductive system doesn't eliminate the possibility of multiple infections or spread infections.

She looks to be a Nigerian. I am unfamiliar with other breeds, but can tell you Nigerians don't develop an udder until late pregnancy. I presume this is the same with other breeds, meaning she has kidded at some point, solidifying my theory.

The size of her udder in general is not of concern, but the lopsided nature is. Low hanging udders sometimes are just due to poor ligament attachments (one would avoid breeding this characteristic for dairy goats, but it doesn't make something wrong with her.) And of course, her rear end isn't "normal."

I'm not a vet, not an expert. While I like to think I'm at least well read, and I believe many things can be treated without a vet, I think this situation is too beyond the abilities of novices and natural remedies.

As far as her other Mastis was my first thought. I remember when my goat it her udder was hard and lumpy. But she didn’t mind me touching it. That may or may not be what’s wrong with that. And if that’s the case that definitely is work from the vet. I’m glad somebody rescued her because her previous owners were either neglectful or did not research how to properly care for goats I have a huge heart for goats and hate to see one like that

I agree, Vet care is needed immediately! I would be suspecting Mastitis as well, but without a full examination it’s hard to say for sure (generally the udder will also feel hot to the touch). It looks to me as though she had kids, I would guess they didn’t survive or were sold as bottle babies based on her conditions, and her udder was just ignored. The situation on her back end I would guess is an untreated prolapse that became infected. Please Do update us when you get the Vet’s assessment... praying for a good outcome for her, and thank you so much for rescuing her from those conditions! This is definitely a case for antibiotics and professional treatment.

Back
Top Bottom