Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Things I've done so far:

1) Checked for mites. (Didn't see any.)
2) Checked her feet for bumblefoot. (She had some type of scab on her foot, so I removed that and applied Peroxide to it.)
3) Gave her a bath because she stank to the high heavens.
4) Got her set up in a kennel (with food, water, shavings, and a perch) away from my flock to quarantine her for two weeks.
5) Trimmed her beak a little where it was needed.
6) Added ACV to her water and showed her where to drink.

Now for the questions:

1) Her legs and feet look too big for her, and a little pale. Wondering if they're swollen? If swollen, why? And what can I do about that?
2) She obviously was living in very bad conditions due to her stink, and stained feathers. Is Salmonella a concern? If so, what can I do?
3) I don't believe she's ever been on perches before. What do I do about that? Is that why her feet look bigger than my other hens'?
4) Even after a bath, and with lots of soap, she still has some of her bad smell around. Is there anything to help improve her smell? Or should I not bother cause it'll go away on its own?
5) She seems to sometimes sit on her hocks. There are no signs of her sitting on them for long periods of time, though. Is this showing signs of something?
6) When giving her a bath, she kept falling over face first. Is this something bad and a sign of something?
7) During her quarantine, what are things that I should be looking for? What should I be paying attention to? How will I know if she's not healthy enough to go into my flock?

I might end up having more questions, and if there are any questions you want to ask, feel free to ask! :)

My Mom found this hen, (I named it Beth II) on the side of a busy roadway. My Mom stopped, and there was a guy trying to herd it off the road. He was directing traffic to keep moving and yelled "Run over it, I don't care!" My Mom told the guy that her daughter (me) would have already caught the bird. As soon as she said that, the hen crossed the road over to my Mom and my Mom caught it. The guy said that he had 40 chickens and that my Mom could keep her. So my Mom brought the hen with her as she finished her travels, and then brought her home to me.

Here's some pictures of the hen:

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Her feet:
IMG_0408.JPG

Things I've done so far:

1) Checked for mites. (Didn't see any.)
2) Checked her feet for bumblefoot. (She had some type of scab on her foot, so I removed that and applied Peroxide to it.)
3) Gave her a bath because she stank to the high heavens.
4) Got her set up in a kennel (with food, water, shavings, and a perch) away from my flock to quarantine her for two weeks.
5) Trimmed her beak a little where it was needed.
6) Added ACV to her water and showed her where to drink.

Now for the questions:

1) Her legs and feet look too big for her, and a little pale. Wondering if they're swollen? If swollen, why? And what can I do about that?
2) She obviously was living in very bad conditions due to her stink, and stained feathers. Is Salmonella a concern? If so, what can I do?
3) I don't believe she's ever been on perches before. What do I do about that? Is that why her feet look bigger than my other hens'?
4) Even after a bath, and with lots of soap, she still has some of her bad smell around. Is there anything to help improve her smell? Or should I not bother cause it'll go away on its own?
5) She seems to sometimes sit on her hocks. There are no signs of her sitting on them for long periods of time, though. Is this showing signs of something?
6) When giving her a bath, she kept falling over face first. Is this something bad and a sign of something?
7) During her quarantine, what are things that I should be looking for? What should I be paying attention to? How will I know if she's not healthy enough to go into my flock?

I might end up having more questions, and if there are any questions you want to ask, feel free to ask! :)

My Mom found this hen, (I named it Beth II) on the side of a busy roadway. My Mom stopped, and there was a guy trying to herd it off the road. He was directing traffic to keep moving and yelled "Run over it, I don't care!" My Mom told the guy that her daughter (me) would have already caught the bird. As soon as she said that, the hen crossed the road over to my Mom and my Mom caught it. The guy said that he had 40 chickens and that my Mom could keep her. So my Mom brought the hen with her as she finished her travels, and then brought her home to me.

Here's some pictures of the hen:

View attachment 2787851
View attachment 2787855
Her feet:
View attachment 2787856
What does her crop feel like? Can you compare it to the other chickens?

What does her crop feel like?
Her crop was empty. I have grain in her kennel, but I don't know if she's ate anything yet.
Can you compare it to the other chickens?
I wasn't with my Mom when she found this hen, and she didn't see any other chickens. Compared to mine, her feet is bigger, and her feathers are softer.

I don't know why her legs would be swollen when it seems nothing is wrong with them, they look normal to me. Some chickens just have thick legs.
I was asking about her crop because sour crop makes chickens stink. The symptoms are a squishy crop, vomiting when bending over, and stink.
Is she just laying down? Chickens rest on their hocks when they lay down.
This is normal, she's just relaxed!

I don't know why her legs would be swollen when it seems nothing is wrong with them, they look normal to me. Some chickens just have thick legs.
Ok. I was wondering if she just had thick legs, but comparing her to my other birds, they look big.
I was asking about her crop because sour crop makes chickens stink. The symptoms are a squishy crop, vomiting when bending over, and stink.
Ok. I have a hen with crop issues, and she doesn't smell like that.
Is she just laying down? Chickens rest on their hocks when they lay down.
Hm. Maybe? But what you're saying, that must be it. My Mom had noticed it when she was riding, so that must be it.
This is normal, she's just relaxed!
Ok! That's good! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom