Rescued hen

Neither of those is an effective, actual poultry dewormer. They won't do anything other than make you feel virtuous for not using a chemical. If there are worms, they will be laughing.

Safeguard is an all around effective wormer, but you need to walk over to the horse supplies in the feed store to find it. It will work on almost all kinds of worms. Or order it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/safe-guard-25g-fenbendazole-single-dose-wormer/SLT150554/

Yes, you can safely use a worming med at the same time you treat with Corid.
Got it! Thank you!!
So for future reference if you don’t have to hold back from eating eggs, it’s probably not going to kill parasites, am I guessing that right?

That would be correct. Safeguard comes in horse paste or liquid goat wormer, many tractor supply stores carry it, some feed stores, you can use either form. Valbazen you usually have to order online, it's for cattle, commonly used for chickens.

That would be correct. Safeguard comes in horse paste or liquid goat wormer, many tractor supply stores carry it, some feed stores, you can use either form. Valbazen you usually have to order online, it's for cattle, commonly used for chickens.
It looks like I will have to try to order from Amazon. Both TSC and Kvsupply won’t ship SafeGuard into California, of course. Last question would be how much to add to their water? I saw to administer a pea sized amount of the paste directly but nothing about how many ml of the liquid for the water. Thank you so much!!

Neither can be mixed in water, it will settle out. You need to dose each bird orally. Not as hard as it may sound. Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of bird weight 5 days in a row for most common worms. If you are treating for roundworm only you can do 2 doses 10 days apart. Valbazen dose is .2ml per kg, or .2ml per 2.2 lbs of bird weight, two doses 10 days apart for most worms. That will take care of pretty much everything, except tape worms.
The only water mixable wormer is Safeguard Aquasol (you would have to order) and it's extremely expensive. There is a method for using Safeguard in feed (most do this to avoid egg withdrawl) the instructions are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
I've never done it this way. I much prefer to know that each bird got the correct dose. A sick bird, or not feeling 100% may not eat a normal amount and may not get dosed correctly.

Neither can be mixed in water, it will settle out. You need to dose each bird orally. Not as hard as it may sound. Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of bird weight 5 days in a row for most common worms. If you are treating for roundworm only you can do 2 doses 10 days apart. Valbazen dose is .2ml per kg, or .2ml per 2.2 lbs of bird weight, two doses 10 days apart for most worms. That will take care of pretty much everything, except tape worms.
The only water mixable wormer is Safeguard Aquasol (you would have to order) and it's extremely expensive. There is a method for using Safeguard in feed (most do this to avoid egg withdrawl) the instructions are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
I've never done it this way. I much prefer to know that each bird got the correct dose. A sick bird, or not feeling 100% may not eat a normal amount and may not get dosed correctly.
Thank you!! It looks like I will be using SafeGuard paste, it will be here Saturday, which gives me time to weigh my birds. The paste seems like an easier way to administer, doing the 5 day method with egg withdrawal, just to be safe and cover everything I can.

I just wanted to give an update on the hen I rescued; she has been with me 6 weeks now and doing great! Such a fantastic layer too!

Attachments

• F09C9874-1200-4761-98AA-1C7709ECB5DA.jpeg
    F09C9874-1200-4761-98AA-1C7709ECB5DA.jpeg
    717.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom