rescued hens, need advice on multiple things

2jsbabyfarm

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Well, I went to buy some pullets and found the poor girls being kept in horrid conditions. My heart was breaking as I left with 5, yet there were many more needing help. So what started as a flock expansion has turned into a bit of a rescue operation. The conditions were mud, no shelter, over crowding, dirty water, barely any feeding. I bathed them all up and noticed lice on a few so I plan to dust them and quarantine them

I'd treat them for mites and lice, and also deworm them. I'm sure that in such terrible conditions they have picked up some internal parasites. Valbazen and Safeguard are two good dewormers to use, and should kill most/all worms.

Definitely quarantine them for two weeks or so. They might have a contagious disease. Watch for signs of sickness like lethargy, discharge, sneezing, coughing, strange droppings, lack of appetite, and any problems egg laying (if they are laying). Watch your other birds carefully too, to make sure that they aren't gettting sick.

Check them over for any signs of disease now. Feel their crops: are they squishy or hard? If squishy, they might have sour crop, if hard, they could have an impacted crop. These ailments should resolve themselves with good care and treatment, if neccasary. Also feel their abdomens, to make sure that they aren't egg bound.

Give them some probiotics and electrolytes to help them get over the stress. They might also enjoy foods like yogurt, applesauce, moistened chicken feed, and scrambled eggs. Give them free access to feed and water.

Last edited:
Well, I went to buy some pullets and found the poor girls being kept in horrid conditions. My heart was breaking as I left with 5, yet there were many more needing help. So what started as a flock expansion has turned into a bit of a rescue operation. The conditions were mud, no shelter, over crowding, dirty water, barely any feeding. I bathed them all up and noticed lice on a few so I plan to dust them and quarantine them
Good for you for rescuing them!
smile.png
This is what I would do (some of the things you've already done):

• Give them a bath to remove any caked on dirt
  • Check for mites/lice and dust with 5% Sevin or Poultry dust if any are seen. Repeat dusting 7-10 days later to kill mites/lice from hatched eggs
  • Worm with a broad-spectrum wormer, like Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (Flubendazole). You can usually find wormers at a livestock supply store, or you can purchase the Worminator (which is what I use) from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584
  • Isolate and quarantine birds for at least two weeks. Keep in warm, clean place and try to minimize stress.
  • Give vitamins/electrolytes (such as Sav-a-Chic) and possibly probiotics (I use some called Probios) in water.
  • Encourage birds to eat plenty. Give moistened feed, scrambled/hard boiled eggs, mealworms, etc, to boost strength.

Good luck with them!

Thankyou! This thread posted like 3 times for some reason my phone is bugging out, so sorry if anyone has seen this more than once! I started dosing them with corid, when I am done with that I will worm them. One did have a runny nose and sneezing, it seems to have ckeared up, there was no odor to it, so hopefully it was soap in the nose =S they all seeed more lively and hungry today! It is heart breaking!!

Back
Top Bottom