Rescued Muscovy Duck

Duckmom1980

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
Somebody brought me a small male Muscovy duck they found roaming in the street. We have 2 Pekins & a pond, plus 4 chickens. The 2 Pekins seem to be staying at least a foot away but don't seem to bothered. They are a male & female pair. Is it ok for the new Muscovy to be housed with the Pekins? During the day everybody is free to roam. Thanks. Tracy

Introducktions take time and they are not predictable.

My first thought would be to keep the muscovy separate till you feel confident (perhaps by having a fecal test done) that there is no risk of illness for your pekins.

Aside from that, two drakes and one female duck could put her at risk if the muscovy drake takes an interest in her. I hope others with both pekins and muscovies check in here on this.

So I add members to my flock by keeping them separated with a fence at first, then when it feels right, supervised time together, but never alone together until I am absolutely certain they are getting along. Sometimes they backslide and I need to reseparate them.

Bless you for taking in the lone muscovy. I hope it all turns out well. Please keep us posted.

Technically, you should isolate the newby for 30 days to make sure that it isn't carrying any illnesses.
Are you sure it's a male? Muscovy males are not usually referred to as small.
lol.png
Is it young?

If it is male, then you may have some problems between him and your current drake. Males don't usually get along once hormones kick in.
If it is adult and friendly, then it was probably a pet that escaped or was dumped.

He seems like he was a pet. My husband put him in the duck house before I could stop him & so far everybody seems ok. I will run an avian fecal panel tomorow at work. We don't see ducks at the hospital I work at but we have access to avian lab tests. I think he must be young because hes half the size of our Pekin drake. Will keep you all updated and try to post a pic.

He seems like he was a pet. My husband put him in the duck house before I could stop him & so far everybody seems ok. I will run an avian fecal panel tomorow at work. We don't see ducks at the hospital I work at but we have access to avian lab tests. I think he must be young because hes half the size of our Pekin drake. Will keep you all updated and try to post a pic.
clap.gif

Sadly he flew away. The Pekins don't fly but apparently the Muscovys have no trouble doing so. I hope he's happy where ever he is. Over here I'm pretty bummed.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom