Rescued Poultry Please show me your pictures !

Quote:
well i was told to just wash it a bit and maybe put some flour on his comb to stop the bleeding. and his eyes where swollen shut with blood so i did my best to 'flush' his eyes and get them open again. thankfully it all worked out good and the other rooster who beat him up is going to go to a new home. (by the way the other rooster is HUGE im not even kidding he makes my bantys -which arent very small- seem like ants!!)
and thanks! i just took thatt picture this morning he is really attached to me now.

Quote:
thanks!
smile.png

I'm not sure if it counts, but this is the only story I hold. Almost my whole flock has made it over the past few years-except for one who recently passed away just last month. This is his story.

Fuzzy was a White Sultan rooster. He was my favorite guy from the start. I took him under my wing (pun intended) and raised him as the most spoiled of all of our roosters. From a young age, he had issues with his feet. The left foot would bleed constantly, if disturbed by a direct contacting sorce. He was raised in his large flock but I'd teach him new tricks all the time. He learned to respond to his name and come when called in just days. I loved him so much and gave him hugs when the other roosters pecked his feet and tormented him. He was my little guy.

Last spring, I hatched Fuzzy's and his mate, Patty's (WCB Polish) only chick. She was a beautiful little pullet. Her name is Tosca.
Pic2.jpg

Fuzzy became ill in the fall. He sneezed and caughed and wheezed. I knew chickens weren't allowed in the house, but once more, I saved him from a fate all too painful. He aquired a full fledged Respiratory Infection within days, and clung to his medication for dear life.

When better, I took Fuzzy off his medication but, I did so too soon. He got sick once more, for the last time, and now he wouldn't respond to medication. The bacteria spreading through his little lungs was thriving, and built up and immunity from the Anti-biotics. His cut up, unhealthy feet were the portal to his living heck.

One night I didn't check up on him. I thought he'd be okay by himself for a night. He had his food and water and my love again tomorrow.

I went down first thing in the morning and called his name. I expected to see his bright and shining face waiting for treats and hugs. And I'd apologize for not coming to check on him the night before. I'd find him some newer, stronger medication and he'd be outside in no time, with his mates and fighting over his territory and crowing for the wonderful life he had.

But when I didn't see him at the end of the room, I lost contact with reality. He wasn't standing.

I found him keeled over the crate basking in the artifitial heat sorce. His head was jammed in a feeding cup and he had no pulse to show for it. He sufficated and crawled into the most painful of deaths. One thing I was trying to avoid.

He never again walked to see the light of day.

We put him to rest that afternoon. He was burried in his woods, the greatest of his domain. I'll never repay my dues to him. I should have been a responsible owner and took out the cup. I shouldn't have been so stupid and selfish not to have checked on him.

I should have been there when he needed me.

I'm not really certain whether or not this qualifies as a rescue story. If it counts for anything at all, I saved him from the clutches of domeneering roosters and let him live for another few weeks. His final weeks of life.

Fuzzy1.jpg

Here's a picture of him just days before his death.

Princess, you took really good care of him. Things don't always come out the way they're supposed to no matter how hard you try. Sorry you lost him, and yes, this certainly sounds like a rescue story to me.

Thanks. It's hard trying to get on by without him. His daughter really aquired his best triats-both looks and character. If anymore go at all this year, I'm only hoping it won't be in the winter. The least we'd be able to do is burry them close to home. It's hard when you spend so much time with someone, you think they can never die...

Thank you all for your sorrys. Even his mate hasn't fully recovered yet. She'll still wander around epically, as if she's awaiting his return.

This was Nomad when I found him wandering alone behind the building where I work in the city of Charlottesville. He had a cut under his wing and was dehydrated.
22221_nomad_purdue_pittman_4.jpg

I was going home sick that day so I put him in a box and took him home. He got out of the box on the way home and decided to sit on my shoulder for the rest of the ride. I didn't want to put him directly in with my older chickens so I made up a spot for him in the spare room. Again he escaped and decided to get in the bed with me. This was where I drew the line.. I made a better spot for him and months later he still does whatever he wants, but now he's in the yard.
22221_in_024.jpg

I am very proud of my Nomad and think he's turned out to be a beauty. I have another thread posted where I am trying to get help finding out what breed he is. Some sort of gamefowl is the consensus so far.

Last edited:
I saw a guy last year selling chickens out of his car at the grocery store parking lot (they aren't supposed to do that). I stopped on my way out and bought the last chick he had- a baby bantam BR that was covered in dried poop and smelled horrible. I should never have spent moey on her, but I couldn't stand how pathetic she looked. I cleaned her, vaccinated, and kept her quarantined in the house for two weeks before I decided it was safe to but her in the brooder with some of my own chicks. We named her Singer and she's the friendliest thing ever, loves to ride around the barnyard on my shoulders/

Here she is at home after I gave her a bath:
15872_chickens_005.jpg

Here she is now, five months later and getting ready to lay soon- I can't wait to hatch a few Singer babies this summer.
15872_fawkes_018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom