Rescued stray, but what for art thou??

chookchookme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Our neighbourhood acquired a stray and a neighbour of mine who hates noise, and knowing I kept chickens, asked me to save him from her panicked clucking around his garden and so asked me to try and nab her.
After a week and a half I finally decided to get her at night while she was sleepy and roosting. My chance came last night and I found her, by torchlight, in a tree!
Here she is, I'm just wondering on any opinions as to her breed!? Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Thank you!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Our neighbourhood acquired a stray and a neighbour of mine who hates noise, and knowing I kept chickens, asked me to save him from her panicked clucking around his garden and so asked me to try and nab her.
After a week and a half I finally decided to get her at night while she was sleepy and roosting. My chance came last night and I found her, by torchlight, in a tree!
Here she is, I'm just wondering on any opinions as to her breed!? Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Thank you!

First of all, it's not a "her". It's a Black Sex Link cockerel, or at least a cross where one parent was barred. But, with those pointy shiny saddle feathers, it's a male, for sure.

chookchookme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
I can't tell what color his legs are. Yellow or white?

He looks an awful lot like a cuckoo marans cockerel I had last year.

Looks like a Black Sex-Link cockerel to me as well.

Haha!! Love it!
Oh well, he is a rather sexy beast. I love cockerels and crowing so it's fine with me, my neighbours on the other hand may be a tad upset with my fifth cock! My hybrids can have a strapping young buck with them so it'll be fine. I'm too soft, I wouldn't want him to go now I've rescued him!
Thanks so much for all of your help!

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Looks like a Black Sex-link or a Cuckoo Marans; I'm leaning towards Black Sex-link. Either way, "she" is a cockerel.

Top Bottom