Rescued stray, but what for art thou??

chookchookme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Our neighbourhood acquired a stray and a neighbour of mine who hates noise, and knowing I kept chickens, asked me to save him from her panicked clucking around his garden and so asked me to try and nab her.
After a week and a half I finally decided to get her at night while she was sleepy and roosting. My chance came last night and I found her, by torchlight, in a tree!
Here she is, I'm just wondering on any opinions as to her breed!? Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Thank you!

Our neighbourhood acquired a stray and a neighbour of mine who hates noise, and knowing I kept chickens, asked me to save him from her panicked clucking around his garden and so asked me to try and nab her.
After a week and a half I finally decided to get her at night while she was sleepy and roosting. My chance came last night and I found her, by torchlight, in a tree!
Here she is, I'm just wondering on any opinions as to her breed!? Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Thank you!

First of all, it's not a "her". It's a Black Sex Link cockerel, or at least a cross where one parent was barred. But, with those pointy shiny saddle feathers, it's a male, for sure.

I can't tell what color his legs are. Yellow or white?

He looks an awful lot like a cuckoo marans cockerel I had last year.

Looks like a Black Sex-Link cockerel to me as well.

Haha!! Love it!
Oh well, he is a rather sexy beast. I love cockerels and crowing so it's fine with me, my neighbours on the other hand may be a tad upset with my fifth cock! My hybrids can have a strapping young buck with them so it'll be fine. I'm too soft, I wouldn't want him to go now I've rescued him!
Thanks so much for all of your help!

Looks like a Black Sex-link or a Cuckoo Marans; I'm leaning towards Black Sex-link. Either way, "she" is a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom