Rescued two hens need help!

Sorry I don't none of my chickens have ever had mites or lice to I've had no reason to use the sprays. For dust bathing you could just turn up some dirt in their run or get an old tire or something and fill it with loose dirt or sand and they will role around in that
Here is a better picture of the white hen

Unless they seem to be showing signs of skin problems or irritation I wouldn't worry about treating for lice and mites.  Providing a dust bath would be a great help to them in controlling those pests - it can be as simple as a pit with a combination of any/all of the following: clean soil, sand, peat moss, wood ash.  My birds just roll around in my garden soil or in a corner where I dumped a little peat moss.

Once they are settled down, if you feel comfortable trying to handle them, you can do a physical check for pests if that's a concern.  The Chicken Chick site has some photos http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
Thank you that link helped a lot. What about introducing to free ranging? I live in a 1/4 acre plus and was just planning on letting them out for an hour or two before dusk each night.

So I asked around and everyone sais it's a White Leghorn. Those are pretty cool breeds, I have one myself. They are skiddish around people but they are fantastic layers.
Sounds like her, the other one will feed out of my hand and she won't even come near me haha. What do you think of introducing them to free ranging an hour or two before dusk each night?

Yeah I think that would be good. Just keep an eye on them for the first few times you do it. Once it gets dark and your ready for them to go to bed just heard them back into the coop and after a while they will go in on their own. Do you have a fence around your yard? If you do how tall is it?

Ya my yard is fenced and buts up to a large green belt. The fence is about 5 feet tall and in the back that goes to the green belt is probably 7 feet tall.

I think you have Leghorn and Plymouth Barred Rock. Both nice breeds. I suggest that you don't add any more birds to the set up you have. It's about right for 2 birds. Any more, and you are likely to have behavior issues. If you need info on any topic related to chicken keeping, click on the search bar at the top of the page and type in your ? or key words. Then, you'll have to sift through the threads for information that seems appropriate to your situation. By the looks of your birds, they are just starting a molt. Most likely that's why they were dumped. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who should never be allowed to keep animals. The ones who dump their pets are at the top of that list, IMO. Topics to consider: Fermented feed. Deep litter. Enjoy your little flock.

That's good, you don't have to worry about them wandering into someone else's yard. They probably could jump the fence if they really wanted to. The only reason I can think of that they would try and get over the fence is if there is a dog or other predator in your yard that their trying to escape from.

I think you have Leghorn and Plymouth Barred Rock.  Both nice breeds.  I suggest that you don't add any more birds to the set up you have.  It's about right for 2 birds.  Any more, and you are likely to have behavior issues.  If you need info on any topic related to chicken keeping, click on the search bar at the top of the page and type in your ? or key words.  Then, you'll have to sift through the threads for information that seems appropriate to your situation.  By the looks of your birds, they are just starting a molt.  Most likely that's why they were dumped.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who should never be allowed to keep animals.  The ones who dump their pets are at the top of that list, IMO.  Topics to consider:  Fermented feed.  Deep litter.  Enjoy your little flock.
Yes thank you, I don't plan on adding anymore anytime soon. (Only if I get a bigger set up in the future). I agree people who dump pets don't deserve them. I am just glad I can give them a loving home. Thanks for the help and advice :)

Back
Top Bottom