Rescuing abandoned chickens.

There are no houses or any kind of building for at least half a mile or more. The neighbor who alerted me to their presence has lived and farmed there for probably 30 years at least. Everyone knows everyone out here so if someone was missing chickens, the country rumor mill would have spread the word well before now. Almost all the farmers are related or have grown up together. I confirmed yesterday that the chickens have been there for at least two weeks. Also confirmed with another farmer that drop offs happen a lot out here. He thinks they’re likely some backyard chickens that quit laying so someone dumped them. The neighbor who found them said she thinks there was feed with them initially.

We built a 4’x4’ crate with plywood top and bottom and wire sides and closable wire front and took it out last night. We’ve already named them so it’s easier to refer to them! Dahlia, the white one, is so sweet and friendly! She flew across the creek as soon as she heard us and came over to eat fresh corn. She will eat out of our hands but if you make any move to pick her up, she skitters off. The first day, Marigold (the buff) was like that so I tried to pick her up and now she is a lot less friendly so we’re having to win her over again. The two Australorps (Petunia and Rose) won’t come closer than 6-10 feet. Petunia stays across the creek. We left a little feed in the open pen last night so hopefully they’ll start associating it with good things.

I think I can probably catch Dahlia within a day or two but, I’m wondering whether I should because Petunia is really dependent on Dahlia. Rose and Marigold stick really close to each other as well. Should we try to get them one by one or wait until we can get them all at once?

Here’s a pic of Dahlia. She followed us up the hill almost to the truck. I’m pretty sure she’s a Light Sussex instead of Coronation. Her accent feathers are so light it’s throwing me off.
Good luck hope everything works out! Looks like they are going to a good home!

I would keep bringing them food and just stay out there with them for a good thirty minutes each night (or less). Then slowly they will get to where they will eat out of your hand. If they do that means a chicken trusts you. Slowly get to where they will let you hold them. Then one day I would go out there with a dog crate and put food in there. Once they are in shut the door and carefully transport them to their new home.
Good luck!!!

Today was day four and we’re doing pretty much what you suggested. We put a plank bridge across the creek so all four chickens are on the same side of the creek now. They hide in the brush until I start calling them and then they come running. We built a temporary pen and put it out there with some food. One of them was in the pen when we went out there today. Two of them are already eating out of our hands.
3A4DFB8A-8403-4E9F-8FDF-15B89EBF5963.jpeg

Might get a big dog crate, take it there daily and put feed inside.
Once they all go in close the door...could take days to pull this off.

How many days do you think it should take? It doesn’t matter to us, convenience-wise, it’s not hard to go down the road to feed them. I’d rather earn their trust and move them all together without panicking them. Just curious what you think I should expect?

How many days do you think it should take? It doesn’t matter to us, convenience-wise, it’s not hard to go down the road to feed them. I’d rather earn their trust and move them all together without panicking them. Just curious what you think I should expect?
When I trapped a stray, one bird(not tame at all) here in my yard, it took about a week or so...but there were some misses and mishaps....and a whole different set up.
Had crate setup in a shed I can see from window, wire rigged to close door went into another shed 30' away. Every night she would go into crate to fill her crop, before roosting in a brush filled area like you described, and I'd sneak down to pull wire. First time wire broke cause I pulled it too hard, took another few days to get another chance which was successful.

Back
Top Bottom