Research Question

Heh, thanks for all of your replies. Lots of good info and ideas to ponder on. I was thinking that I may order sexed chickens from hatcheries. That would lessen the roos, but would increase my initial investment.

I may try raising a few next spring, and put an add on Craig's list and the local newspaper. I like the idea of pre-orders, also.

Thanks!!

Brad

A friend of mine buys POL Golden Comets for $5. She purchases them from a woman that buys sexed day olds for $.89. I sometimes wonder what she feeds them to be able to make it worth her time, effort, and investment. I think $10-$15 is much more reasonable. Let us know if you decide to do this.

I just saw you on the Indiana thread. Just wanted to tell you that we've been giving chickens away for the last year, so that might damage your business (
hmm.png
). We like to let our hens sit some and it's been great for our children to participate. We've had people from Warrick/Spencer Co., Vanderburgh Co., Posey Co., and the Bloomington, IN area getting chickens from us. However, we are moving the South Central KY in one year from October.
And if your interested we might have few extras (they are 2nd generation Silkie mixes (mixed with Buff Orp., EEs, Black Aust., Lght Brahma, and/or Barred Rocks.
PM or Email us! We would love to meet other chicken people!
big_smile.png

Quote:
heya -

I'm in south central kentucky (Columbia) - where ya gonna move to?
cthrash1 is down here, too - a couple towns over. If ya need to know the best places to buy supplies, feed, or chickens, etc... let us know, we can probably help ya out.

ETA - Just to keep this on topic, I was reading this originally because I, too, am interested in perhaps breeding some chickens for sale. Not show birds, just backyard chickens. Most folks down here (I've been told) want bantams or fancy chickens. Me, I'm in it just to have fun with my chickens. I know a lot of folks who want just regular old laying hens, and maybe a roo. I'm not in it for profit, just maybe to help on feed bills, and to support my own chicken habit.

Peace -
Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple weekends ago I bought some chicks from a woman for $8. They were only 1 to 2 weeks old, if that and one of them she had just recieved from the hatchery so it must have been a day or two old. I would imagine she buys them for anywhere from less than $1 - 2 for sexed chicks and feeds them for a couple weeks untill they are sold. Sounds like a good return on investment to me.... I guess the trick would be to order the kinds of chicks that people are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom