Resource To build chicken run?

Jeanbs800

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
Hello, I'm new to the site and have never had chickens. I just moved to north shore of Chicago and am looking for someone to build a chicken run and help me prepare my small old barn as a coop. I haven't met a handyman with the know how. Any suggestions appreciated!

There are plenty of ideas for coops on this site, many have built their own out of lots of different stuff from kids playhouses to pallet coops. Have a look around and ask questions, chickens are an addictive hobby.

:welcome

:welcome so glad you have joined us.

You can try locating folks near you in the "where am I, where are you" forum.

It is difficult to find those folks to help with small jobs and be trustworthy. Good luck with the search and your plans.

You are lucky to have a barn, it will be a lot easier and lest costly than building all from scratch.

**why not ask at your local fire station, in our area a lot of them do yard work, small building, painting, etc on days off.

There are plenty of ideas for coops on this site, many have built their own out of lots of different stuff from kids playhouses to pallet coops. Have a look around and ask questions, chickens are an addictive hobby.

:welcome
Thank you. I have the coop, (barn) need someone to build the run for me.

All you need for a run is dog run wire panels, often available on Craig's list. Then run 18" inches or so of 1/2" hardware cloth from ground up to keep predators from reaching or coming thru the space in the chain links to harm your flock.

The hardware cloth needs to be securely affixed to the chain link frame. It's also best to provide a run cover to keep out climbers, raptor attacks etc. If you use solid material like fiberglas panels it will help protect from snow, hail, rain and sun as well.

Please check out the coops/run section, for info on providing a wire apron around
the bottom of run to keep out diggers.

Everything loves to eat chicken . The Chicago suburbs have long been visited by coyotes, raccoons, skunks and opossums - and hawk attacks - often right in front of humans. Basically they have lost much of their fear of humans and are bold as brass.

PS the Chicagoland area also has a Club for chicken folks, maybe some of the members could be hired to help with your rub & coop. They would have the know-how and probably have built their own. Don't know the exact name but you could google Chicagoland Chicken Fanciers(????) they also hold tours of some local coops.

PS the Chicagoland area also has a Club for chicken folks, maybe some of the members could be hired to help with your rub & coop. They would have the know-how and probably have built their own. Don't know the exact name but you could google Chicagoland Chicken Fanciers(????) they also hold tours of some local coops.
Thank you so much for all of this information - so helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom