Resp. Infect. in my chicks, dying- Which one and what to do?

farmgurlwannabe

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Hi, I have lost 5 silkie chicks over the last few weeks. Not sure if they are all related or not. They are all fine and go down sudden. Last 3 panted and had labored breathing. I was told that they were too hot under the brooder lamp which didn't make sense to me because they loved it and would huddle up under it. No issues with anything else. Just suddenly it was obvious they were on their way out and then have a little jerking spell and die. Upon noticing they were doing bad the previous two, we grab syringes and electolytes and B12 tried to fix them up. I noticed a little bit or water in their nose and was thinking that i over squirted the syringe and they were choking. I could hear a click sound when they breathed like you can as an adult with mucus in your throat sometimes. I again, juist attributed it to the fact they they weren't really drinking and it must have just stayed in their throat. they were only 2.5 weeks old So theres that...
Now this morning was totally different. This is a 4 wk old. and so was the one two days ago. They were all huddle and standing on top of him cuddled in a corner and when they moved we found him/her. We noticed his nostrils had liquid. We just thought moisture or water. He breathed still. Just slowly. Then had a jerking spell and died. After he died then a few minutes later all of this mucus appeared on the side of his face that was laying down in my daughters palm. He didn’t have that there when he was alive. So I guess it ran out of his lungs through his nose? I called the vet and they are going to give me antibiotics to treat all of my birds. I am reading online that it could be MG and if so that all of them will eventually get it and die anyways and basically I have to burn/throw out everything, even the newly built coop will be contaminated to any future chickens? We had been keeping them apart from the ones outside obviously. Then two days ago I did put two of the cream legbars outside with the others bc they had feathered out. Now I’m like dang what if they took it to my 18 outside. So I am picking up antibiotics to treat today for respiratory infection. None of them have swollen sinuses or show any symptoms other than right before they are about to die. They are all up eating and just fine until they aren’t then it goes fast. This is the first real emergen we have seen on snot or mucus. I am praying that it is not more than a common case of respiratory stuff and not the bad stuff...

Attachments

• F226DA78-3D59-4CCC-9C9E-6B2438BB64CB.png
    F226DA78-3D59-4CCC-9C9E-6B2438BB64CB.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 899D9F0C-33E9-4ED2-B2C9-BDE60C9C0DF2.png
    899D9F0C-33E9-4ED2-B2C9-BDE60C9C0DF2.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 4
I’m not super knowledgeable on these things. But my silkies started with a slight wheeze/whistle. Then with eye bubbles/drainage. I got some antibiotics from the farm store closely related to the medication tylan that you can’t get anymore and I treated the whole flock because if it’s respiratory it will spread. Hope thus helps! Or someone else with more experience can chime in. Do you have a local vet to ask?

I’m not super knowledgeable on these things. But my silkies started with a slight wheeze/whistle. Then with eye bubbles/drainage. I got some antibiotics from the farm store closely related to the medication tylan that you can’t get anymore and I treated the whole flock because if it’s respiratory it will spread. Hope thus helps! Or someone else with more experience can chime in. Do you have a local vet to ask?

I need to update my post. I contacted my vet and They gave me the Tylan that you mentioned. I have to pick it up today on my lunch break. She said it would be enough (3 gallons) to treat both of my flocks. I just am concerned about the type of infection if it is MG I am told that no cure is available only treatment. Thank you for response and any help!

Back
Top Bottom