Respiratory / Breathing in 1 week old Chicks

Raiz

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
I have 3 Orpingtons that began to experience fast breathing issues a couple days ago. It started with 1, then the 2nd, and now the 3rd is doing it.

Symptoms:

1. Heavy/fast breathing
2. Lethargy
3. Lack of appetite - they are still drinking every so often, but not as much

I posted a quick video on youtube of one of them. Eyes and nose seem clear... no discharge. A couple have had pasty butt, but I cleaned it off. Mouths are closed when breathing, so it doesn't seem like they are panting. Hopefully you guys can help me diagnose this as it seems to be getting worse. As a precautionary measure, I added some electrolytes, probiotics, and corid to their water. They've been drinking that for 2 days and don't seem to be improving.

0.jpg

Last edited:
I thought of that too.... Heck I've been wracking my brain thinking of everything. I lifted the light higher and I have a thermometer in there. The temp reads 93. They can move to the other side (it's a big plastic tub), where the temp reads 85, but they stay under the light all the time.... still breathing fast. =[

I ordered some soluble Tylan powder from Amazon tonight. It will be here saturday. I guess I will hope they make it until then and mix it with their water. I just want my babies to live!

Well this little guy died lastnight. Hoping the rest survive but I'm doubtful.

Check for any wet or moldy pine shavings which can cause brooder pneumonia (aspergillosis.) Too much heat can cause pasty butt, but it can also happen because of dehydration and stress in shipping. Where did the chicks come from? Sorry for your loss.

I hatched the chicks from eggs I got on ebay. Several of the eggs went bad (smelled bad) during incubation and were filled with black stuff when I went outside and broke them open.

All of my 8 chicks have experienced symptoms now. They seem to start around day 6 after hatching and progressively get worse. Heavy breathing, followed by lethargy. I got some Tylan 50 yesterday and gave it to them orally about 1/4 CC. It doesn't seem to be helping. Temp is fine. They are perfectly happy little chicks until about 6 days in and then they just go downhill, chirping a bit while they breath heavy.

I'm down to 5 chicks from the 8 that hatch. I think another will die today, maybe 2. It makes me really sad. Unless I figure out what this is soon, I'll likely lose all of them.

So sorry! I hope the tylan helps. Do you have other birds? I hope you've been very careful about isolating this group, because this might be a big problem for all your birds. Chill any dead chicks, wrap them in plastic, and refrigerate. Have a necropsy done tomorrow if at all possible, at the state vet path lab, if convenient. Call first thing Monday! Please find out what's wrong before more birds are affected! Mary

This is my first batch of chicks. We were really excited to have chickens after moving out of the city. Not sure if we will get more just to have this happen all over again.

Right now I'm thinking they have Infectious Bronchitis (IB) since the Tylan doesn't seem to be helping. I'm really not sure what to do, but it makes me really sad just to wait and watch them die one by one.

As a last ditch effort, I got some poly-vi-sol to put into their water. Maybe the extra vitamins will help them fend off the illness.

Back
Top Bottom