Respiratory disease in chickens

txbird

In the Brooder
May 13, 2016
I recently purchased some new baby cochins at a comroe trades day show and i kept the birds separated but they ended up infecting my entire flock.

Ive purchased tylan 50 and have been giving .5 ml to each silkie and about .25 to the tiny bantams. Most have responded well luckily but ive also lost 2 bantams. They were already really sick by the time i noticed the infection. About 10 days after purchase new birds

I also have been giving oxytetracycline powdwr in their water also but at a lower concentration. The packets call for 2.5 tablespoons per gallon. I administered solution with just 1 tablespoon. I figured since they are getting the full dose of tylan 50 orally. It might be too much with the full strength of oxytetracycline

Any thoughts on this???? Anyone ever encounter this antibiotics combo?

I will continue the meds like this:
tylan for 5 days with the oxytetracycline for 5 days plus two extra days of solely oxytetracycline. To ensure i wipe out any questions of disease in their systems. Then of couse follow up with vitamins and electrolytes powder in their water for 7 days

Anyone have any idea when its safe to consume their eggs again??? And when would it be safe to introduce the new cochins amongst the loft. As they are all on the same medicine routine.

Also thoughts on the medicine combo. Any help of comments would greatly be appreciated

I feel it would be well worth it to take a bird in for a blood test to determine what type of illness you are dealing with.

Not every antibiotic treats every infection, and if they have something viral (like Infectious Bronchitis), antibiotics will do nothing.

If it's something like Mycoplasma, the chicken will be a carrier for life and can infect new chickens at any time without showing symptoms of illness.

If it's something like Cocci, you can treat that with Corid from Tractor Supply or order online.

What symptoms are they having?? I am very sorry for your troubles.

MrsB

Mrs. B:

thanks for taking time to read my post about my bird's sickness. Their symptoms involve fatigue and labored breathing. It seems as if they have water in their throat. I spoke with the State's poultry inspector and from what I told him over the phone about their symptoms he said it was most likely a case of "chronic respiratory disease".

I hope it clears up soon because it feels like I'm living a nightmare.

Do you see any bubbly eyes?

I would grab your sickest bird and either sacrifice it to a state-performed necropsy, or arrange to have a blood test done as soon as possible with your local vet.

That will determined how you deal with your flock moving forward. If you have Mycoplasma, you can add new birds, but it is highly advisable you have a CLOSED flock (only birds in, no birds out).

I am sorry for your troubles. :(

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom